Chinese-Forums

Being careful while in China

Dawei3

Recently, 艾墨本 noted he is very risk averse when it comes to China.  https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/60840-changing-visa-from-a-fake-degree-to-a-real-one/?tab=comments#comment-476463       The following post from CSIS shows that 艾墨本’s perspective is very important. 

Reading this will likely make you feel uncomfortable, so reader beware:  https://www.csis.org/analysis/how-ccp-governs-view-chinese-town  (I'm not even in China and it made me uncomfortable, but this may be because it seems so much like what I learned about the situation under Mao).  It has the link to the original for those who want to read it untranslated.  

While the article noted that the text is just from a small town, it fits well with the high level push from the government.  It immediately made me think of the bounty that was being offered several years ago to the public if they would turn in foreign spies (as if spies would be riding the Beijing subway to gather intelligence).

If I were religious, this excerpt would really bother me: "Prevent and crack down on illegal Christian infiltration activity. Continuously carry out special campaigns against private Christian meeting places and resolutely crack down on infiltration activities by Christian organizations with U.S. or Korean backgrounds."  However, it's reflective of the tone of the entire document, i.e., that foreigners are in China to undermine the country in many ways.

When I started the read the above, I found the beginning troubling.  Then I saw it went on & on & on & on about the need to protect China from foreigners.  While I've always seen myself as a guest when visiting China and I'm careful about what I say & do, the CSIS post shows an extra level risk aversion is prudent.