Chinese-Forums

Visas for Americans in Hong Kong

nevin

Where can I get one? I’m looking for a 1-year multiple-entry F visa and I won’t have a letter from a company. I plan on studying at a small private school so I won’t be able to get an X visa. I contacted Japan Travel Agency but they said that they can’t get China visas for Americans now and the CTS seems to only offer 6 months (but you need a letter). Where else can I go? Also, I’m assuming that getting this visa will be easier and cheaper in Hong Kong than in Beijing or Shanghai, if that isn’t the case can someone let me know. Thanks for the advice.

So far as I know, you are plain out of luck.

Some travel agents offer Americans 6-month multiple-entry visas, but with a 30-day limit per entry, which won't work for you.

The US embassy was bragging some months ago that it had signed a wonderful new reciprocal agreement with China under which each country would give the other country's citizens one-year multiple-entry visas, but the agreement seems a dead letter so far as the Chinese are concerned.

Since the agreement is supposed to be reciprocal, you might ask the consular affairs staff at the US embassy or consulate just what's gone wrong.

In any event, they should be made aware that China is not adhering to the agreement.

" . . .by the reciprocal nature of the agreement, we are to give to Chinese citizens in the tourist and business category one year multiple entry visas and the Government of China has agreed to give the same thing to an American coming, as well."

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/shanghai/visa/linkfiles/Press31205.htm