Chinese-Forums

Placement of auxiliary verbs

Anthony1995

• New Members

Hi there, I’m new here and this is my first post.

I’ve been following you for quite a long time now and I thought it was time for me to post my first thread. 
it is about the placement of auxiliary verbs according to this link https://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/Chinese_word_order#Placement_of_target_in_a_sentence

I often find it confusing to get the right word order when such verbs are present, 

E.g. 我一定会记得你 but 我会一直想你 

As I don’t seem to be able to find a rule to stick to, I’d like to know if there’s one that can help me better understand the placement of those verbs.

thanks in advance :)

• Like 1
  • Good question! 3

(edit: initial response deleted — I mis-read my grammar book)

Yip & Rimmington Basic Chinese (2nd ed)

Yip & Rimmington Intermediate Chinese (2nd ed) 

both published by Routledge, are highly recommended grammar references with exercises and solutions included.  Basic Chinese has a chapter on use of modal verbs.

Having said that, I can't find anything in there that explains the difference in position of those two adverbs.  

Would it actually be incorrect to say 我一直会想你 ?

22 hours ago, Anthony1995 said:

我一定会记得你 but 我会一直想你 

I have never been a grammar ace, so I hesitate to get into this discussion. But isn't 一直 "helping" 想 in your second sentence? Hence it comes in front of that verb (and not in front of 会)。On the other hand, in the first sentence, 一定 modifies 记得 and comes before it as it normally should. 

• Like 1

• New Members

Thank you for your replies guys! 
as of today I’m still struggling to get the right word order, I do know that adverbs can be put in different places to emphasise different parts of the speech, so I am trying to read as much as I can 

On 3/25/2021 at 7:07 PM, Anthony1995 said:

as of today I’m still struggling to get the right word order, I do know that adverbs can be put in different places to emphasise different parts of the speech, so I am trying to read as much as I can 

Don't get hung up on it. Put it in front of the word that it modifies and move on. Read a lot, talk a lot. You patterns will eventually get smoothed out by simple immitation of native speakers. You will hear what you are doing wrong and unconsciously correct it over time. 

I have seen elementary learners get paralyzed by uncertainty on things like this, stop dead in their tracks for months at a time. Don't do that. These are not mathematical problems that must be solved. Push forward. Don't be too terribly worried about mistakes. Progress in communication takes precedence over being a perfect grammarian. 

Seeking academic perfection in all details every time you open your mouth will cause you to to stammer and pause and be afraid. Go ahead and talk, go ahead and write. Use the language. Use it plenty and use it hard. Communication is the goal; not perfect test scores. Do not obsess about the small stuff. Forge ahead. Screw it if you occasionally get things wrong. Learn from those mistakes and you will gradually come to make fewer of them. 

Do not demand perfection of your own fledgling efforts. Boldly move forward. Volume is very important. Lots of talking and listening, lots of writing and reading. No fear. It's OK if you make mistakes. 

(Note: Please bear in mind that this is an issue on which people have widely-different opinions. Some disapprove of this approach.)