Chinese-Forums

how to say 'i forgot my chinese'

玉麗

• New Members

Hi, just came to Taiwan and after 7 years of rarely speaking Chinese I'm discussing my lackluster language skills a lot, and a bit uncertain about what is correct or not. Was wondering if you could help me with these phrases

"I feel like I forgot most of my Chinese, but I hope that it will slowly come back to me"

my attempt:
"我恐怕我的中文差不多都忘了,不過我希望我慢慢會想起來“

Mostly curious if you can '我忘了我的+語言“ or if you can't use 忘 or 忘記 in that sense. And if you can 想起來a language.  Variations on this theme are also welcome, haha. I'm also saying things like '我的中文非常退步了,詞彙量少了很多,一直想不起來字‘ . Thanks everyone!

Several options come to mind, pretty sure they’re all okay.

First part, you could use 把 structure, and I believe that’s the most grammatically accurate option, or you could do it without. Don’t see a problem with 忘了 + 语言:

我的中文基本上都忘了

我把中文都忘了 / 忘光了

我的中文都搞忘记了 (not overly fond of this one, but I think it’s not wrong).

Second part - not sure about the 想起来 in this context either, and I don’t like the sound of it. I would go for one of these, though I’m not a hundred percent sure which one is best and if it’s entirely error-free:

希望我能慢慢学回来

希望我会渐渐补回来

我希望它会慢慢恢复过来

退步 is a good option when talking about a language. To my ears, saying something like 我的中文退步很多了 sounds better than 非常退步了。

Might just be me though.

Hope that helps! Welcome back to the Chinese world!

• Like 3

I have used:

我以前会说(西班牙语),可是现在全忘了。 

and

我的(西班牙语)全忘了。

Second part no idea, so I'm asking, could you say something using : 越来越。。。?

荒废 is the first word that comes to mind. I know I've heard Chinese people use this word to talk about their English, and always thought it was a cool way to express this, though I don't feel qualified to give advice on how to use it properly. 

• Like 1

I asked a native and they suggested the following.

我觉得我的中文退步了很多,忘记了很多词汇,但是希望通过之后的复习能够慢慢记起来

18 hours ago, 玉麗 said:

"我恐怕我的中文差不多都忘了,不過我希望我慢慢會想起來“

They said this is grammar only a foreigner would use. 恐怕 isn't often used like that, and 我会慢慢想起来 is better grammar.

1 hour ago, Ori_A said:

我的中文退步很多了 sounds better than 非常退步了

They said 非常退步了 is wrong, but you also should say 退步了很多 because 退步很多了 doesn't quite sound right.

53 minutes ago, suMMit said:

我以前会说(西班牙语),可是现在全忘了。 

They said this sounds fine, but it would be better to add 基本 - 我以前会说中文,可是现在基本全忘了。 

50 minutes ago, ZhuoMing said:

荒废 is the first word that comes to mind.

They suggested 我的中文基本荒废了 would work here.

• Thanks 1