Chinese-Forums

tutoring ideas for advanced (HSK 6+) CSL learners

大块头

Language exchanges have been instrumental in developing whatever fluency I possess today, but it's gotten difficult to find partners who are willing and able to provide the sort of high-resolution feedback I need to improve. Online exchange platforms like Lang-8 (RIP) and HiNative are OK for writing, but the quality and detail of the corrections sometimes aren't that great. I've convinced myself that I can overcome these issues (and save myself a lot of time) by throwing some money at the problem and hiring a tutor.

How does the following plan sound? We all have different 短板, but are there any tutor-assisted study methods that other advanced students have found useful?

1. I'll spend a couple hours each weekend writing an essay on a topic of my choosing. I'll randomly select a few grammar patterns from the HSK 3.0 proficiency standards that I must use in the essay. My tutor will then edit this essay with Word's track changes feature, adding comments explaining each edit.
  2. Later in the week we'll meet via Zoom for an hour. I'll ask them any questions I may have about the essay, then I'll do an improvised speaking exercise. Such exercises could include describing something that's difficult to explain without gesturing or visual aids (e.g. "how to tie your shoes", "how to play chess") or they could involve thoroughly describing a complicated video or image (e.g. commentating an American Ninja Warrior highlight reel). After we meet my tutor will review a video recording of our meeting and send me a list of speaking errors with time stamps.
  3. As my tutor becomes more familiar with my Chinese ability they'll create Anki flashcards meant to prevent the writing or speaking errors I tend to make (e.g. "Is this word typically used as a noun or verb?", "Would you use 既 or 即 in this sentence?"). Writing good flashcards is a skill, so they'll initially need a good amount of feedback from me.
  • Like 1
  • Good question! 2

Given that HSK levels 7-9 will be upon us by the end of the year, this is a very good question.

If you're already at HSK 6 does this maybe imply that further progress means academic study rather than language "tutoring"?

1 hour ago, mungouk said:

If you're already at HSK 6 does this maybe imply that further progress means academic study rather than language "tutoring"?

At this point I like to think I can talk or write about most topics I'd typically encounter, but I'd definitely fail a Turing test and be outed as a nonnative speaker for communication tasks that are longer or more difficult (e.g. the shoe-tying example). I plan to find a tutor with a STEM degree (or better yet, another engineer in my particular field) because I'd like to focus on technical writing skills that would be professionally useful, but I still have work to do on other more general fronts.

On 6/4/2021 at 10:08 AM, 大块头 said:

After we meet my tutor will review a video recording of our meeting and send me a list of speaking errors with time stamps.

So you're planning on asking your tutor to review an entire one hour discussion to listen for pronunciation errors?  I think this is a bit impractical in reality.  Perhaps make a recording specifically for your teacher to critique pronunciation (this is what I did a couple years ago and it worked really well), or just have your teacher make notes during the lesson of your mistakes.

4 hours ago, Apollys said:

So you're planning on asking your tutor to review an entire one hour discussion to listen for pronunciation errors?  I think this is a bit impractical in reality.

Not just pronunciation errors, but also grammar and usage errors. It would perhaps be impractical to ask for a comprehensive list of every mistake, so I'd ask them to only spend about an hour and a half to make a single pass through the video and note the most glaring errors. I'll update this thread after our first few sessions to describe any issues we encountered.

• Like 2

Giuseppe Romanazzi

I wish the following list of teaching methods that have been very effective in teaching foreign languages (my personal experience is only with Chinese, Italian, and English), together with a lot of enthusiasm, speed, vigor, volume, clearness, joy, smiles, gestures, praise, praise, and praise, can help you and your tutor too.

It is suggested to use around 4 different methods each hour.

English:

1. Communicative approach (standard)
  2. Communicative approach (15 seconds)
  3. Communicative approach (using pictures)
  4. Educational exercise (balloons)
  5. Rassias method
  6. Advanced Rassias method
  7. Educational exercise (scarves)
  8. Stress ball
  9. Personal language manual
  10. Audio education (CD, MP3, etc.)
  11. Video education (short films, movies, DVDs, etc.)
  12. Muted movie
  13. Black screen
  14. You are the actor
  15. What next?
  16. I watch, you listen to
  17. Narration
  18. Native language subtitles
  19. Foreign language subtitles
  20. Freeze
  21. Behavior and appearance
  22. Thoughts and feelings
  23. Cultural comparison
  24. Words counting
  25. Echo reading
  26. Humor
  27. Sounds and signs
  28. Mind map (Tony Buzan)
  29. Mobile mind map
  30. Total physical response
  31. Advanced total physical response (Vivaldi, Haydn, Mozart, Pachelbel, etc.)
  32. Music dictation
  33. Read and write
  34. Flash cards
  35. Most common words
  36. Your own stories
  37. Reading and pronunciation
  38. Word association
  39. Universal language generator
  40. Spaced Repetition System
  41. The never ending story
  42. Community language learning
  43. Creative genius