Chinese-Forums

are there limitations for whom have psychiatric ilnesses?

inv

Hi and welcome to the forums!

The medical form is quite vague, but here's what I had on the form I used in 2020. This was the only section about mental health.

image.thumb.png.ccff2ae70471669b8ab866be083046b7.png

If there's anything more specific that you want me to look at in the form, please feel free to ask.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, mungouk said:

Hi and welcome to the forums!

The medical form is quite vague, but here's what I had on the form I used in 2020. This was the only section about mental health.

image.thumb.png.ccff2ae70471669b8ab866be083046b7.png

If there's anything more specific that you want me to look at in the form, please feel free to ask.

Thank you for the response.

yes, I see that the query at the top appearing and the following statements belong to the one whom has that (relevant) disorder,right?

but that query seems really interesting to me, because I think that the query might include a prejudice.

why does it ask to the responder whether he/she endanger the public order?

I remember one psychiatrist was saying "Schizophrenia/schizophrenic people are not more guilty than normal people"

I am apart from the discussion but normally need the information as I opened a thread regarding the issue. 

but if the doctor will make a decision on the issue,I am not sure. 

And may I ask , whether the queries consists of the queres appearing above? (or more queries available?) (Because I am sure something else should be available, for instance obsession, obsessive compulsive disorder , bipolar disorder, depression etc)

I can express an important point: when I check some specific progrms on admissions of relevant universities, I clearly see a requirement: "to be in good health"

also, can we say that "to be in good health" would be required for also short term visits (e.g. weekly/two week holiday or a program)?

9 hours ago, inv said:

I see that the query at the top appearing and the following statements belong to the one whom has that (relevant) disorder,right?

but that query seems really interesting to me, because I think that the query might include a prejudice.

I finally found the empty form, so it's attached here (PDF). You can also download it from Visa application centres, like this one: https://bio.visaforchina.org/HAG2_EN/generalinformation/downloads/265928.shtml

I don't really know why that section (and the one before it) are addressed to the person applying, because this form is supposed to be filled in by the doctor doing the examination.... or at least, they sign it and stamp it on the next page, which suggests they have checked with the applicant during the examination.

9 hours ago, inv said:

may I ask , whether the queries consists of the queres appearing above? (or more queries available?) (Because I am sure something else should be available, for instance obsession, obsessive compulsive disorder , bipolar disorder, depression etc)

Like I said, those are the only questions relating to mental health. 

medical form.pdf

• Helpful 1

I'd say the major concern would be less immigration aspects and more medical care aspects. If you might need care during your time in China you'd probably have some serious difficulty finding mental health care there equivalent to what you're getting in the West.

"what you're getting in the West" varies enormously of course, depending on where you live and what kind of medical insurance (or state-provided care) you are entitled to.

On the other hand, depending on the situation, relevant medication is pretty easy to access here in China and not expensive.

The ambiguity really arrises from very poor wording on the out-of-country form (and how it's really being assessed). 

Of course there's [usually] the in-country assessment when you arrive, although that can be quite hit-and-miss too. Last time I entered China in October 2020 they accepted my UK medical report and only insisted on a chest X-ray to make sure I wasn't carrying TB. 

The time before that (18 months earlier?) I had to have a full medical, although I don't really remember anyone trying to assess or ask me about mental health.

13 hours ago, 889 said:

I'd say the major concern would be less immigration aspects and more medical care aspects. 

Agree. Psychiatric care in China is not as advanced as the US or Western Europe. It's also not as accessible and a good deal of stigma still surrounds mental health issues. 

@inv-- You should think long and hard about going to live in China where you are cut off from your usual sources of psychiatric care. Moving to China is inherently stressful and can make anyone's mental health worse. If it is tenuous to start with, you could crash and burn in China. Plus, in China you will be away from your usual social support systems; away from family and friends. Everything will be new and foreign and confusing and strange. 

This is not something to undertake lightly. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Just to be clear, I was talking about him having access or not to good medical care for his needs, not access simply to pharmaceuticals.

I'm pretty sure there's a long thread or two here about the general Chinese attitude to these sorts of illnesses and how that could affect a foreigner's daily interactions with colleagues and such. As said, not a decision to be taken lightly, for all sorts of reasons.

hi again,

maybe waiting for the scenario(s) and expecting some invitations (for job) be a better idea. Because I am hopeful to collect some stories of accomplishments. 

could someone help please for the second query

do I have to prepare this medical examination even for weekly or a couple of weeks period of program, moving to china?

if this is also limited,could you assume for just three days?

• 3 months later...

hi,

I may plan to visit china. But overviewing the case, may I ask ;

whether the consulate would (already) help me on how to fill the form or should I guide to doctor ?

as I see from the form which mungouk had shared there, just one doctor's sight is sufficient. 

but what I expect or think is that a psychiatrist's idea/opinion would also be required.

one more question: 

from which/how amount of date (i.e. days/months or years (not expected)) should I prepare (fill) this form before a trip?

Consuls don't like dealing with difficult cases. They'll often keep sending you back to get more documents hoping you'll finally give up.

If you have a good job offer with a prestigious employer maybe that's a different case.

But for the time being -- and at least until after the Winter Olympics -- nobody is getting a tourist visa to China.

may I request from the responders under this thread to focus on the question(s).

That will better help both to me and other (relevant) readers. 

sorry, but I do not see any answer to my last two questions. 

maybe going on from the official procedures directly might be better.