Chinese-Forums

palmOne tungsten t5 I want Chinese characters!

randall_flagg

hi!

i posted several months ago and asked about the plecodict and the casio. well, i finally got around to buying a handheld device, the PalmOne Tungsten T5.

here's the question/problem i need help with: when i type (using Word_To_Go or dictionaries) i cannot read or write Chinese characters unless i change the whole system to Chinese. i don't want to change everything to Chinese and hate having to switch back and forth. 好麻烦了!so, is there any way to read and write Chinese while the system is still using the English language? And if that's not the case: can i use the plecodict alright if I'm using the English system?

I think I'll buy that dictionary tomorrow. BTW, does anybody know if it has a flashcard feature?

Thanks for all your help!

Randall

i guess i should have read the plecodict.com before posting all those stupid questions. i just found out that i don't need to change the system to Chinese. HOWEVER the question remains, for other applications, just how can i use Chinese without changing the system to Chinese. Any help would be appreciated.

On my Palm, Clie TG50, I have CJKOS installed, so when I want to switch between entering English or Chinese text, I just press ctrl-space on the little keyboard. Might be worth investing in CJKOS if you can't find an easier way of switching between the 2 languages on your T5.

geez, what did i do? i bought the Tungsten T5 last sunday in Zhongguancun, Beijing, China. i was assured that i could use PalmOne's international warranty but it looks like i do need a 'proof of original purchase'. Damn. i don't have that. they never gave it to me. the T5 is working just find, but i would really like to know if i can use the warranty should i need to do so. i would hate to have invested a ton of money without having the peace of mind of an international warranty. i wish i had the business card 名片 of that place. any advice?

thanks once more

randall

ok, i contacted the people at PalmOne and they tell me that they don't need anything but the serial number on the back of the PDA. COOL!

STILL, the Chinese characters vs english problem is drivin' me nuts. i have to go the 'prefs' (preferences) to activate the CJKOS, but that changes EVERYTHING to Chinese. if i don't activate that, i can't not only not type characters, but the PDA can't even display characters in other documents. Roddy, you really seem to know what you're talking about. would you be willing to share any advice?

if not, i'll guess i'll just do the switching back and forth.

thanks

randall

I specialize in appearing to know what I'm talking about.

Two thoughts.

1) In CJKOS make sure you haven't selected the 'localizer' option - I think it's this which changes the menu

2) I seem to remember that the 'localizer' option depends on installing certain files - if you can find these and delete them perhaps it'll stop changing the menus.

To be honest, I never had this problem so I'm guessing.

Roddy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Roddy. I did find the localizer option and it did the trick for me. To those of you out there who have the same problem: activate the CJKOS (which means that everything will be in Chinese until you find the localizer), select the 增强 window (opition sheet) and then uncheck the box that says 中文化, which is the CJKOS translation for localizer. Thanks again, Roddy, I can finally start using that T5! Yipee!

Randall

• 1 year later...