Chinese-Forums

Outdoor activities

nephridium

Hello everyone,

This is a great forum, lots of information in here. I registered right away, when I found it a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I have had a couple of questions concerning ("non-standard") travelling around China, hope someone's got a few answers. Right now I live in Beijing. Since in the upcoming holidays so many people seem to be going to Shanghai, the yellow montains etc. I decided to refrain from doing the same (wouldn't like to spend my holidays in crowded tourist places). I thought about going to inner Mongolia.

1. Is it allowed (or at least tolerated) by authorities to camp in the wilderness? Is it allowed to travel off-road (by foot, bike, horse etc.)?

2. If so, how about (non-firearm) hunting/fishing?

3. I've seen pictures of mountains in China that look perfect for climbing. Does anyone have experience with freeclimbing in nature?

How's the stance of authorities on these points? Is it a "Don't disturb anyone and we're ok with it" or are they enforcing rules more stricktly (and how?)?

Thanks for your help. Hope someone has already been camping/touring or the like and can share their experinces.

greets