Chinese-Forums

My month long HSK 0 to 3 Challenge experience

tsitsi

Congratulations on passing the exam. It's great that you documented your learning process; this will be a great post to refer people to if they've convinced themselves they don't have the time or resources to take on the current lower level exams.

You've probably heard about these resources already, but if you want to focus on speaking next I'd recommend the Pimsleur course for basic oral proficiency coupled with italki tutoring or a language exchange to make sure your pronunciation is OK.

I look forward to reading more about your language-learning journey. :-)

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:43 PM, tsitsi said:

I have also decided to write the next TOPIK (Korean) which is in October and JLPT (Japanese) which is in December

Well done on your achievement and for documenting it so thoroughly.

I also decided to start beginner-level Japanese recently (for the third time!), just for fun, and am aiming for JLPT N5 in December as an arbitrary goal. 

If you want to share resources or discuss the process/relationship of learning Kanji after/while studying Hanzi then please feel free to contribute to this thread:

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/61284-learning-chinese-beforeafterat-the-same-time-as-japanese-as-an-l2/

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 12:12 PM, 大块头 said:

next I'd recommend the Pimsleur course for basic oral proficiency coupled with italki tutoring or a language exchange to make sure your pronunciation is OK.

Thanks I'll look them up! I tend to go for free stuff though, coz I'm cheap like that LOL ? I have decided it will be talking and reading challenge definitely and now am on the resource hunt and figuring out how to measure progress :)

On 6/19/2021 at 10:50 PM, mungouk said:

aiming for JLPT N5 in December as an arbitrary goal. 

If you want to share resources or discuss the process/relationship of learning Kanji after/while studying Hanzi then please feel free to contribute to this thread:

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/61284-learning-chinese-beforeafterat-the-same-time-as-japanese-as-an-l2/

I love arbitrary goals!!! Same here. good luck to us in December! have you started already? I'm only going to start after TOPIK... or during Korean study... I'll know in the next few months. Thanks for the link :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tsitsi said:

have you started already?

Yes I started having one Skype lesson per week in the middle of May, and I'm also doing self-study on remembering Hiragana and Katakana again, plus numbers etc.

Like I said, right now it's only really "for fun" (and to get insight into learning Kanji and Hanzi side-by-side), and I'm still having 3 Chinese lessons per week as I work towards HSK 5. I'm sure I will have to change the mix somewhat as we get closer to December. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hello friend, most universities in China require at least HSK3 level to give scholarships. I started learning Chinese 1 month ago with the HSK1 textbook and I still don't know any characters, I can only remember pinyin. Oh my god, you finished the hsk3 level in 1 month. Can you give me an email or Instagram address where I can reach you, I really need your help. I read and read the study plan 3-4 times, but I still have questions in my mind. Thank you for your help.

Hi @Denemelik, welcome to the forums! It's been over two years since the OP posted, so it's not likely they'll see your post. Just ask your questions in this thread, and perhaps someone else can help. Your goal is certainly ambitious!

• Like 1

• Members
On 3/22/2024 at 1:46 AM, Moshen said:

Hi Denemelik,

I recommend you try the free Coursera courses for HSK 1 etc.  At the lower levels they offer videos that dramatize the words in real-life scenarios, which makes the words much easier to remember.

Here's the link for the first course:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/hsk-1

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I already finished beijing coursera hsk1 course. This man finished hsk3 and got more than 200 score in hsk3 exam. I really want to know his plan

On 3/21/2024 at 5:05 PM, Denemelik said:

I started learning Chinese 1 month ago with the HSK1 textbook and I still don't know any characters, I can only remember pinyin. Oh my god, you finished the hsk3 level in 1 month

Keep calm and keep going forward and I believe you can make your progress!

The skill of writing Chinese characters need some professional instruction. Beside the advices given above, I always recommend beginners to try some materials(video, MOOCs, etc.) for kindergarten kids in China, since they are designed to teach kids to write Chinese characters from 0 to 1. At least on writing characters, foreign learners have no difference with uneducated Chinese kids I think. The skill of reading and writing characters in really important since pinyin seldom shows up in China(on the other hand, if a native speaker have to look up for the pinyin of a certain character, it must be extremely uncommon or obsolete), so if you plan to come to China for university education, the given competence is a must.

On the other hand, don't get anxious and don't look forward to some extremely fast progress. Passing HSK is significant, yet the language fluency behind the certificates is more important I'd say. In universities students and professors may be able to communicate in pure English, but out of the schools, Chinese language competence is a must. So polish your language skill step by step, and I hope you would have a fantastic experience in China.

• Members
On 3/25/2024 at 2:53 PM, honglam said:

Keep calm and keep going forward and I believe you can make your progress!

The skill of writing Chinese characters need some professional instruction. Beside the advices given above, I always recommend beginners to try some materials(video, MOOCs, etc.) for kindergarten kids in China, since they are designed to teach kids to write Chinese characters from 0 to 1. At least on writing characters, foreign learners have no difference with uneducated Chinese kids I think. The skill of reading and writing characters in really important since pinyin seldom shows up in China(on the other hand, if a native speaker have to look up for the pinyin of a certain character, it must be extremely uncommon or obsolete), so if you plan to come to China for university education, the given competence is a must.

On the other hand, don't get anxious and don't look forward to some extremely fast progress. Passing HSK is significant, yet the language fluency behind the certificates is more important I'd say. In universities students and professors may be able to communicate in pure English, but out of the schools, Chinese language competence is a must. So polish your language skill step by step, and I hope you would have a fantastic experience in China.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I made my plan to study at university in China this year and will graduate next year. So I should learn Chinese at HSK3 or HKS4 level before January 2025. I plan to learn quickly and just pass the exam so that it is not too late to apply for scholarships.

• Members
On 3/29/2024 at 1:36 AM, tsitsi said:

Hi Denemelik! You can do it! I am thinking of starting anew challenge for myself to get to HSK 4 and your message is the catalyst I needed since I had stopped learning. You can ask me anything

I thought you had left this place, I'm so happy that you came back. I sent message from ig

On 3/28/2024 at 11:39 PM, Denemelik said:

I sent message from ig

Please don't, please keep this discussion on the forums. It can be very valuable to other learners in the future, just like this topic from three years ago is useful to you now.

• Like 1

• Members
On 3/29/2024 at 8:31 PM, Lu said:

Please don't, please keep this discussion on the forums. It can be very valuable to other learners in the future, just like this topic from three years ago is useful to you now.

My idea is that she/he can explain how passed the hsk3 exam from zero to HSK3 level in 1 month. This answer will really help many people who have dreams

On 3/29/2024 at 3:02 PM, Denemelik said:

My idea is that she/he can explain how passed the hsk3 exam from zero to HSK3 level in 1 month. This answer will really help many people who have dreams

Yes, please ask them here on the forums, and let them reply here on the forums. That way, people who have dreams can come here and read the answers. Just like you did.

• Thanks 1

• Members
On 3/29/2024 at 10:27 PM, Lu said:

Yes, please ask them here on the forums, and let them reply here on the forums. That way, people who have dreams can come here and read the answers. Just like you did.

You are right my friend, thank you. I hope he/she will publish an informative message...

• Like 1

So it's been a while since I did this :) And because of @Denemelik I'm going to progress again. FINALLY lol

If anyone is in a crush and needs to do HSK3 in a month and you have time here is how I'd structure it. Is it recommended? No. But we all do what we gotta do.

1. Download sticky study, anki and Hello Chinese. These three apps will take up all of your idle time, be it walking, on the bus etc. For the anki deck find one with short sentences and phrases like the Refold one.
  2. Find the Coursera HSK coursera on youtube -> Why on youtube? for ease of repeating 

Split the month into 4weeks

Week 1 Vocab and HSK 1 -

• do all of HSK 1 and half of HSK 2 vocab,
    • that translates to at least 35 hanzi and vocab a day. You are at your fastest learning speed at the beginning so capitalise!! It's gonna get slower. Do more if you can. That means any time you can, use flash cards to cram the characters. Do not use pinyin to remember (unless to look up pronunciation)
  • complete coursera course for HSK 1 and 2
  • do HSK 1 mock tests

Week 2 Vocab and HSK 2

• complete HSK 2 vocab and start 3 as far as you can go at least half way
  • Complete coursera HSK 3 course
  • Focus on sentence construction

Week 3 Vocab and HSK 3

• complete all the vocab
  • Start forming your own sentences, and learning phrases
  • You now know the areas you keep failing, revise and relearn those
  • start mock testing if not already started

Week 4 Practice tests and revise

• do online and paper based practice tests as many as you can get a hold of
  • Complete Hello Chinese if not yet done
  • relearn all words yes even the ones you know, you want these properly cemented.

Extra credit

If you have more than a few hours a day, and want to have a more solid foundation

• Use a book like Tuttle Chinese characters or Remembering the hanzi and perfect your tones as you go and learn any characters that are  adjacent and useful. This will also help you begin to notice hanzi building blocks and thus be able to guess meaning/ pronunciation of hanzi quicker
  • If you use the HSK textbooks great, stick to the schedule and use them to bolster your grammar knowledge
  • If you are using another grammar book pick a small one that you can finish. Do not spend too much time on this. Spend most of your time in spaced repetition and mock testing
  • Listen to tons of mandarin podcast or YouTube or drama and this will develop your ear for the language 
  • Have HSK YouTube channels or podcasts forever playing in the background

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1