Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

My month long HSK 0 to 3 Challenge experience

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

大块头

Congratulations on passing the exam. It's great that you documented your learning process; this will be a great post to refer people to if they've convinced themselves they don't have the time or resources to take on the current lower level exams.

You've probably heard about these resources already, but if you want to focus on speaking next I'd recommend the Pimsleur course for basic oral proficiency coupled with italki tutoring or a language exchange to make sure your pronunciation is OK.

I look forward to reading more about your language-learning journey. :-)

• Like 1
mungouk
On 6/18/2021 at 2:43 PM, tsitsi said:

I have also decided to write the next TOPIK (Korean) which is in October and JLPT (Japanese) which is in December

Well done on your achievement and for documenting it so thoroughly.

I also decided to start beginner-level Japanese recently (for the third time!), just for fun, and am aiming for JLPT N5 in December as an arbitrary goal. 

If you want to share resources or discuss the process/relationship of learning Kanji after/while studying Hanzi then please feel free to contribute to this thread:

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/61284-learning-chinese-beforeafterat-the-same-time-as-japanese-as-an-l2/

• Like 1
tsitsi
On 6/19/2021 at 12:12 PM, 大块头 said:

next I'd recommend the Pimsleur course for basic oral proficiency coupled with italki tutoring or a language exchange to make sure your pronunciation is OK.

Thanks I'll look them up! I tend to go for free stuff though, coz I'm cheap like that LOL 😁 I have decided it will be talking and reading challenge definitely and now am on the resource hunt and figuring out how to measure progress :)

tsitsi
On 6/19/2021 at 10:50 PM, mungouk said:

aiming for JLPT N5 in December as an arbitrary goal. 

If you want to share resources or discuss the process/relationship of learning Kanji after/while studying Hanzi then please feel free to contribute to this thread:

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/61284-learning-chinese-beforeafterat-the-same-time-as-japanese-as-an-l2/

I love arbitrary goals!!! Same here. good luck to us in December! have you started already? I'm only going to start after TOPIK... or during Korean study... I'll know in the next few months. Thanks for the link :)

• Like 1
mungouk
5 hours ago, tsitsi said:

have you started already?

Yes I started having one Skype lesson per week in the middle of May, and I'm also doing self-study on remembering Hiragana and Katakana again, plus numbers etc.

Like I said, right now it's only really "for fun" (and to get insight into learning Kanji and Hanzi side-by-side), and I'm still having 3 Chinese lessons per week as I work towards HSK 5. I'm sure I will have to change the mix somewhat as we get closer to December. 

• Like 1
tsitsi

4 hours ago, mungouk said:

Yes I started having one Skype lesson per week in the middle of May

Cool! Then you are way ahead of me :)