Chinese-Forums

Chinese name idea: Is this name good?

Aderyn

大家好。我是瑞典學生在學中文。在將來我想去中國而且台灣為了學習漢語,所以我自然想有個中國名字。你們覺得「廖敏」是個好名字嗎?我是男人,所以請告訴我是否它聽起來太陰柔的。I don’t want a name that is too feminine. Also, is it even a good name in the first place?

I would be grateful for your feedback.

Alright, I see what you mean. I don’t feel the need for my name to sound super macho, as long as it isn’t solely a female name. What do you think about the name 廖雲蒼 though? I’ve already asked others before, but I’m just curious. People have told me that it sounds good, but that it seems like a name you would see in a 武俠 novel. Would you say that might be something to be concerned of?

58 minutes ago, Aderyn said:

What do you think about the name 廖雲蒼 though? I’ve already asked others before, but I’m just curious. People have told me that it sounds good, but that it seems like a name you would see in a 武俠 novel.

That was my first thought too! It's not a bad name, but it evokes heroes with swords and magic, so you'd have to be aware that people will think that, and sometimes tell you, for as long as you have that name.

Ok, that’s good to know. Well, I really like the surname 廖, I’m just never able to find a first name that I like. It’s so hard. There seems to be so many aspects to take into consideration when getting a Chinese name. I want a good and unique male name that somewhat represents me as a person, but I never find any success. Guess I just need to keep looking.