Chinese-Forums

coming to china (kunming)

mr.stinky

wow, this was actually easier than i thought. once the university officials came

back from summer vacation, the process was pretty simple. yunnan normal has an

online registration form, and the foreign student adviser speaks excellent english (yay!)

agencies near the chinese consulate (500 miles away) will walk the visa papers

through for a fee of $30. flychina.com got me a one-way ticket from washington/dulles

to kunming via los angeles and beijing for $550. the recommended worldnomads

travel/health insurance is available for $400/year.

i have my physical exam completed, got my shots, sold most of my stuff. unless

something serious comes up, i'll be checking into the intl student dorms early november,

soon to be searching for a flat.

goodbye texas!!! no more chicken fried steak !!

Good on you! I am going to be coming out next year in Feb.

As I sit here in my office over looking Lake Burley Griffen in Canberra watching some ducks with baby duck in toe. (I work at the National Museum) I think about what is in front of me before I get over to Beijing.... Ahh the smell of pollution and steamed pork buns.. The sound of honking horns and haggling... and not forgetting Phlem. I love it.

I guess It is the whole ' moving out of my comfort zone' that is the difficult part.

Do you know what the deal is for a Study visa? Do you need to be 'sponsored' by a school? or can you just ask for one and they give you it provide dyou can show with in a month or so that you have registered with some tuition?

Chris (DuKe)

seems that an acceptance letter from a university/college is required in order to get a

study visa - but isn't that the same for most countries? just call your desired uni and

speak with the foreign student office. they should be able to get the JW202 and

acceptance letter to you within a couple weeks.

another option is to go over on a tourist visa, pick a uni, and have them assist in

converting to an x-visa. apparently this happens frequently, and was suggested to me

in case the paperwork was slowed for some reason.

reference your question about semester schedules: the universities are not on a US

schedule, but rather on a northern hemisphere plan. students are off during the summer

to work in the fields.