Chinese-Forums

a transition - learning chinese in a class problems - reading - listening

赫杰

Hello everyone, :help:help:help

I just been studying Chinese at 华师 in wuhan for about a few weeks. My background is nearly two years of self study in my spare time (in America) and not sleeping very much.

If you have been/are in a similar situation please help me by answering two problems:

**Also, not to point anyone out, but I read a few posts with beijingbooty's comments and from what I read I think he/her a few years ago was basically in the same situation as me in terms of study and a listening problem. So mr./mrs. beijingbooty (if you are still here) if you could help me, that would be kewl, or I could pm you. whichever you prefer! moving on....

1st problem:

Have you had trouble adjusting to learning Chinese in a classroom? If so, what did you do to adjust?

Personally, I understand usually 95 percent of what the teacher(s) says, and usually already know much of our "new" vocabulary. But during things such as reading passages (third problem) and listening (second problem) I still answer questions wrong, sometimes. Also my grammar is sometimes a problem, because USUALLY Chinese will understand you even if you forget to add a le, shang, etc. But I am confident this problem will work itself out in time.

2nd problem:

Listening, big problem for me and for many people I have seen...I think if I can work this one out, I will be able to understand radio, TV, and other's conversation a little better...

Like beijingbooty's case a long time ago, I usually understand the words but have problem reading, comprehending, and the finally choosing the answer in the amount of time given. Example, I just timed the amount given for us to answer in our book (which says is based after hsk examples). 5.6 seconds.... I was just over half way of understanding the FIRST choice of A B C when they went on to asking the next question.

So what tips do you suggest on how to answer such questions?

Also during the longer listening passages, what tips do you suggest on remembering the things that the people in the passage did ?

3rd problem:

Reading passages, not sweating this one too much, but want to ask anyway!

I just don't remember what the guy was wearing, what his meaning was, what time he took a crap, etc. (you know, the stuff that people often ask us during conversation, :roll: ). I know time is important because there is a time limit like in tests and such so you can't take too long to think (I am naturally a kind of slow thinker).

Any tips on how to remember such things?

Or if you recommend looking at questions first and then read the passage, then....

Do you read all the questions and then scan the passage and answer or just one question and scan the passage and then answer?

Regarding scanning the passage...

Any tips on how to increase the reading speed? Or tips on just scanning the passage?

It is SO frustrating to speak with Chinese often and usually with no problem, but then mess up in the classroom. I just don't think while talking to a Chinese, a guy from behind the bushes will jump out and suddenly ask me "When did he NOT go to the store to buy a red apple?" and then later tell me "it was a green apple, num nuts!!" and then run off... :wall:wall:wall

Thank you everyone so much for your time, I am a stupid guy, but I try to make up for it with effort and reason.

HJ

>Have you had trouble adjusting to learning Chinese in a classroom? If so, what did you

>do to adjust?

There does not appear to be a problem here. Humble yourself and make like a child. It takes effort. Don't be afraid of failure. However, please don't stop trying.

> But during things such as reading passages (third problem) and listening (second

>problem) I still answer questions wrong, sometimes.

Perhaps the class is a bit too advanced for you. As frightening as that may sound after your two plus years of self-study, the danger of self-study may be manifesting itself now. You may need to do some "unlearning," and "relearning" to get into the swing of this class' different systematic approach. However, one should not be discouraged, but rather be sufficiently content with "C" grades if you're in the midst of switching learning systems. "A" grades are often overrated. In your case, you should be able to catch up eventually and with a subsequently stronger foundation.

>Reading passages, not sweating this one too much, but want to ask anyway!

>Any tips on how to remember such things?

Read daily. Start with subjects that you enjoy. Another key is to practice thinking in the foreign language. Listen to native speakers in movies, etc. Get the foreign rhythms down. Abandon your native language's rhythms. It's hard and it takes time. When you begin speaking and listening in the foreign language in your dreams, another level of mind linkage has occurred.

>Any tips on how to increase the reading speed? Or tips on just scanning the passage?

See above.

Let me know when you figure out how to comprehend a foreign culture's stand-up comics!