Chinese-Forums

Battle of the dictionaries

weijs

Hi,

I am a third year student planning to buy an electronic dictionary soon. I need to be able to quickly find meaning and pronunciation of unfamiliar characters I encounter, either in jiantizi or fantizi.

Looks like a Palm T3 and Plecodict might be the best choice. Anybody had any PROBLEMS with that combo (or Plecodict and similar combo)?

Anybody think there is a better way to go?

Anybody had a problem with Palm Pilots that buzz or make other noise?

Anybody able to compare the readability of the Palm T3 screen vs. Besta, Casio, Canon, etc.

Thanks!!!

Weijs

I've had Plecodict installed on a T3 with no trouble. I can't compare the screen with others as I don't know what they are like, but I was always happy with it. Buzzing - my current T5 makes a very faint buzzing noise, but I hardly ever notice it.

I think Plecodict is definitely a wise choice. The only possible changes I would suggest is with the PDA - with the new PPC version coming out, the choice of devices you can run Plecodict on is much wider, and with even PalmOne's top of the range devices like the T5 coming without Wi-fi, a PPC might be worth looking at.

Also, if you are like me and buying a PDA solely because of Plecodict, bear in mind that you are inevitably going to use it for other functions as well, even if you don't realise it now - mine is now my default mp3 player, mobile library and photo album - plan ahead and think about voice recording, a camera, wi-fi as mentioned - are those likely to be useful?

Roddy