Chinese-Forums

Help with a few football terms

Kenny同志

I'm translating a document for a football club and there are a few terms and expressions I am not quite sure about. Would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on these: 

a. ‘Cup; 3. League’
This is a bullet point under a very brief introduction to a football association. Other bullet points include: Coach education, refereeing, and national team.

b. ‘BL & BL 2’
This appears in ‘Rights for marketing and organisation of BL & BL 2’. Could these be the abbreviations for Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2?

c. ‘strategy: glass-to-glass’
Items under this heading include production, content, competition, fans, and data. I really have no idea what ‘glass’ means here.  

d. ‘2019/20’
Does this refer to a particular 赛季(season)? If not, what is it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: For confidentiality reasons, I may remove the question later. Thank you for your understanding.

https://www.odgersberndtson.com/de-at/insights/digital-transformation-bundesliga-scores-a-late-win for glass-to-glass. I think that points towards what BL is, also.

2019/20 will mean the season running from 2019 to 2020?

Cup and league are the two types of competition - a knockout cup (like the World Cup) or a 联赛?

• Helpful 1

On 9/2/2021 at 6:38 PM, roddy said:

https://www.odgersberndtson.com/de-at/insights/digital-transformation-bundesliga-scores-a-late-win for glass-to-glass. I think that points towards what BL is, also.

Many thanks your comments, Roddy. They help a lot. But I still have a few questions if you don't mind. 

I've read the article but still have no clue as to what BL means in the context. Can you be more specific about this?

On 9/2/2021 at 6:38 PM, roddy said:

Cup and league are the two types of competition - a knockout cup (like the World Cup) or a 联赛?

What do you think '3' means here? Does it mean the third ranking competition, i.e. league? 

By the way, have you ever heard of 'U-men's national teams' and 'A-/U-Women’s National Teams'? These terms are so puzzling. 

On 9/2/2021 at 10:40 AM, Kenny同志 said:

a. ‘Cup; 3. League’

Two possibilities to consider:

- Can it just be a bullet point that got mismanaged? Is it the third bullet point in this list, by any chance?

- In English, you write: 1st, 2nd, 3rd; in German, you write 1., 2., 3. So with a dot behind the number. If the text was originally German, is it possible the English translator made a mistake here and it just means 3rd?

• Helpful 1

Yes, and would think BL2 etc. are the particular division, there's a top tier, division one but confusingly usually just referred to as the Bundesliga and a second tier which is called 2. Bundesliga.

Think Roddy is right about the U-prefix. A you'd then think would be adult for the women's team but I suppose it's possible it's amateur. I know the English game best and there are amateur and semi-pro national sides.

• Helpful 1

Many thanks, Lu, Roddy, and Jim. You're very helpful. I guess BL, BL 2, U-men, A-women refer to Bundesliga, Bundesliga 2, youth men, adult women, respectively. The problem is that I need to be absolutely sure so I have sent some queries to the client. 

Abbreviations are the translator's worst nightmare, I swear.