Chinese-Forums

Shang Chi (尚氣) Movie

Jan Finster

Has anyone already seen this movie?

This article says there s is quite a lot of Chinese dialogue in it: 

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/shang-chi-cooler-speak-mandarin-language-translation/#:~:text=In it%2C Nan tells Shang,“You are mom's pride.”

(the article contains spoilers!)

(Hopefully not all dialogue by non-Mandarin speakers like Michelle Yeoh ? )

I've not seen it, but I read this article from the excellent Radii China that discusses the sinophobic roots of the story, and how Marvel have gradually nudged it to something more acceptable over the years.

https://radiichina.com/shang-chi-and-cultural-representation-in-marvel-comics/

On 9/4/2021 at 7:02 PM, Jan Finster said:

btw — article starts with "This article contains major spoilers for SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS." Possibly worth flagging this up when linking as well.

• Like 1

I have watched it. Mainly because of Tony Leung as I don’t particularly like Marvel films. I think it is a bit different from other Marvel films, there are bits they did right and other bits I don’t like but in my personal opinion I think the story would resonate most with Chinese immigrants. I don’t think people who were born and live in China most of their lives would be able to relate to the characters. Though if they ignore that part it is still an entertaining film, nothing too deep, it is still somewhat a typical Marvel. So if they can enjoy other Marvel film where the characters are totally not relatable then they should be able to enjoy this as well. I went to see it with very little expectation not expecting amazing storyline, deep character development etc so I ended up quite enjoying it. 

I think about half of the film dialogues if not more were in mandarin, a lot of the actors/actresses are Chinese immigrants and Tony Leung is Cantonese speaker so I guess they count as “non-mandarin” speakers?

• Like 4