Chinese-Forums

Taking a break from Chinese

黄有光

Good for you!

I had about two months "off" and I'm slowly getting back on the bandwagon again. I had a few chats with a couple of my regular teachers and chatted on wechat, but I stopped all my regular study activities. Busy time at work also helped with that though..

They also say that sometimes after a break you can actually come back more fluent than before, because your brain has had a chance mellow while you took some time off. I'm not sure I see that in myself, but be that as it may, it does do wonders to take a break and it's nice to get going again after a while with renewed vigor. Maybe two months is a little too long though.

On 9/17/2021 at 12:02 PM, 黄有光 said:

I'm taking two-ish weeks off from all things Chinese

slacker! ?

On 9/17/2021 at 9:54 PM, alantin said:

I had about two months "off" and I'm slowly getting back on the bandwagon again

On 9/17/2021 at 9:54 PM, alantin said:

They also say that sometimes after a break you can actually come back more fluent than before, because your brain has had a chance mellow while you took some time off. I'm not sure I see that in myself, but be that as it may, it does do wonders to take a break and it's nice to get going again after a while with renewed vigor

I also took 2.5 months off and to my surprise my listening comprehension did not suffer. I would even say it has "mellowed". I am sure there is some brain development and processing that occurs in the "off" period, just as muscles grow in during rest and not during exercise.  

Yea, it's easy to get burned out, if you're chasing a number.

I've taken 2 breaks this year (1 for 6 weeks, 1  for 2 months).  The hard part for me is getting re-started.  Each time I only meant to take a 2-3 week break, but it took another 3-4 weeks to restart :)

But once I do, I find I make more progress because I'm more interested. I have definitely forgotten some stuff, but I recover it in the first week or so.

@Hijinks I have eight days left of my break. I've been using the time to read a novel in English -- Metro 2033, by Dmitry Glukhovsky. It's brilliantly written -- dystopian post-apocalyptic thriller. So good.

I'm not too worried about the SRS. If I need to I'll just delete the deck and start anew. Sure, I'll lose some words -- but it will all be compensated for in due time. I am enjoying my break but definitely looking forward to returning to serious study.

• Like 1