Chinese-Forums

help with 'resp.'

Kenny同志

'(stadium) capacity: 30,000 resp. Maximum of 55% capacity'

Hi folks, does 'resp.' in this context stand for 'respective'? How do you interprete the whole sentence?  

I'm sorry but this is the whole thing I've got. It's about football games during the ongoing pandemic if that helps. I think it says the stadium is expected to be filled up to 55% of its capacity. But I'm not sure what the first half says.

Looks weird in English but according to google "resp." is sometimes used incorrectly by German speakers when writing English as a literal translation of the German word beziehungsweise, to connect two words or phrases to indicate that they are basically equivalent to one another. So I would guess here it means capacity is 30,000 which is the maximum of 55% capacity.

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/resp.2167934/

https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/6491/what-does-resp-mean-in-these-sentences

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

But a bit hard to tell without knowing German and without knowing more of the context. If you google the football club and find out that its regular non-pandemic is around 55,000 then there's your answer! The [current, pandemic] stadium capacity is 30,000, which is 55% of its maximum capacity.

• Like 1