Chinese-Forums

Receive SMS from abroad

ptyfriend

Hey there!

I’m moving to Beijing next month. I was wondering if I will be able to receive SMS from my European SIM card, as I have some accounts that use it for 2 factor authentication. Is there any use in taking my SIM card, or I won’t be able to receive them there anyway? 

thanks! 

For certainty you have to check the roaming policies on your particular SIM card. But generally you can receive SMS messages on your non-Mainland SIM, though set your phone to roaming first but not roaming data. Sometimes you also have to open up roaming with your telecom company.

On 10/21/2021 at 5:18 AM, Jim said:

I'm able to receive and send texts from my UK pay-as-you-go card which I have in a dual SIM phone and basically only use in the same situations as you envisage. It accesses the China Mobile network here.

That’s great to know! Thank you.

I have a dual SIM iPhone here in China using China Unicom and Giffgaff-UK SIM cards, and my only real use for the second one here in China is receiving OTPs/2FA. It works fine.

You almost certainly need to make sure your phone is "unlocked" before you leave home.