Chinese-Forums

著 and 着 in NJstar

kudra

This is a question about NJStar WP. I admit up front that I have not read the whole manual.

I was typing a passage from my text into NJStar using pinyin input. The text is in unsimplified. It had the sentence

佛教也沿着這條運絲的道路開始傳到中國。

When I type yanzhe, and the view is set to unsimplified the zhe comes up 著. OK, I realize, that 着 and 著 are variants in this case.

When I type zhe and the view is unsimplified 着 just doesn’t come up as a choice. OK I guess this is just NJstar picking which variant to go with.

However, when I switch the view on what I have already typed, the 著 stays as 著.

But if I type zhe while view is set to simplified then 着 is one of the choices. When I change the view on this character back to unsimplified, it displays as 著.

OK, so I put the 着 character into the sentence, changed the view to unsimplified (it displays as 著 in NJstar), and cut and pasted it into MS word (97 version). Now in word the 著 displayed has switched back to 着.

No doubt all this would be clear if I had a better understanding of the GB, Big5, unicode. Can anyone either/or/both

1. explain what is going on with NJstar and the paste into MSword

2. suggest a short and sweet tutorial on GB,Big5, unicode. I don’t want to design fonts or write software converters, just understand the basics.

Thanks.