Chinese-Forums

internet troubles?

babygodzilla

The BBC news site is blocked. Has been for years.

The rest of the BBC site isn't, so we are not allowed to read the news, but are allowed to listen to it!

Google cache has also been blocked for years. It used to be possible to get round the block very simply ( see http://www.chinese-forums.com/showpost.php?p=29573&postcount=7) but they fixed that hole!

The best way to get around anything China/ Google related is a website called elgoog.com It takes awhile to be able to use it properly as there is a catch. I can't say anything about the cached pages though as I never tried it and am unable to now.

But even when google is blocked, this mirror site (get it?) works perfectly.

I live in Europe so I do not know which sites are blocked in China. Nevertheless I did once work in a company that had extremely limited bandwidth and would block any sites if people visited them too much. We tried anonymous proxy sites, but these were eventually blocked as well. One site they never blocked was http://babelfish.altavista.com

If one chose a language translation that had no relevance to the text one was reading (example French to German when reading an English or Chinese language site) it would act as an anonymous proxy (for the text). Pictures were still blocked because these came direct from the original site, but it was better than nothing.

I don't know if it still works but I guess it is worth a try.

John.

Altavista has been blocked in China for a long time. That includes the babelfish part.

There are other "translation" sites, but seems a less than perfect solution.

Just ask some Chinese youths which proxies they use!

Really!

I have never been able to get it. On the few occasions I want computer translation (the bane of my existence), I go to Systran which is the engine behind babelfish anyway.