Chinese-Forums

2022 CSC Scholarship

mitosan

• New Members

Hi guys,

I've been lurking around here for quite a while but registered finally to open this thread. I've received an email from my local embassy two days ago that applications for CSC scholarships for 2022/2023 are now open.

lets use this thread to discuss. I also might have some questions coming.

Kind regards,

mitosan

On 11/17/2021 at 10:18 AM, Serg said:

I received the scholarship in 2020 and I still don't even know how my university looks like. Unless you like studying online, I won't advice anyone to get the scholarship, China is not opening any time soon.

I understand the situation you are going through. I received the scholarship this year, and I will say that not being in the country does take away from the experience in many regards. However, for anyone reading this, don't let this be a deterrent.

There has been rumor that US students will be allowed into China starting next semester, but this is not official. Read here: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/politics/article/3155587/universities-tell-stranded-overseas-students-prepare-return. Based on this information, I would be hopeful that if you apply for the scholarship this year, your chances of being allowed in china for 2022 is high.

Good luck to everyone applying! If anyone needs help with the scholarship process, feel free to message me anytime. ?

On 11/17/2021 at 5:30 PM, luckjp said:

I understand the situation you are going through. I received the scholarship this year, and I will say that not being in the country does take away from the experience in many regards. However, for anyone reading this, don't let this be a deterrent.

With all due respect, you have only been dealing with this situation for 2 months and half, I have been dealing with this situation for 1 year and half, I don't think you can't really comprehend what I have been thought. Anyway, you will understand it eventually, I'm pretty sure China will still be closed to international students by 2023. Last year I used to be like you; I thought I would only have to try my best for one year, and then China would open... oh boy, how wrong I was.

I don't want to persuade anyone to give up on China, but I think in order to make a decision it's better to hear all sides and have as much information as possible. If in 2020 someone told me China would lock itself up and completely ignore students, I would have been really grateful, and I would have probably waited until China opened its borders. You don't want to end up like these guys:

https://studyinternational.com/news/studying-in-china/

https://www.studyinternational.com/news/travel-to-china/

On 11/17/2021 at 5:30 PM, luckjp said:

There has been rumor that US students will be allowed into China starting next semester, but this is not official. Read here: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/politics/article/3155587/universities-tell-stranded-overseas-students-prepare-return.

Important to point out that those universities are American, thus they get perks that normal Chinese unis won't get. Only students from those American unis will be allowed to come back, not the rest.

If I was in the skin of people that are looking to get a scholarship, I would also check other mandarin speaking territories, like the Chinese province of Taiwan or Singapore. They also offer scholarships, and they are open to international students (as far as I know).

祝大家好运哦!

On 11/17/2021 at 4:48 PM, Serg said:

If I was in the skin of people that are looking to get a scholarship, I would also check other mandarin speaking territories, like the Chinese province of Taiwan or Singapore. They also offer scholarships, and they are open to international students (as far as I know).

Fair enough

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi guys,

little update. I've applied via CSC embassy way and have been in contact with them every now and then. I applied without pre-admission letter and they advised to get one. According to the embassy applications with pre admission letter have to be preferred. 

there's almost 2 months left until the deadline. good luck

Remember to buy a good webcam and internet connection, you are going to need it for the online classes.

For the less well-off students: get ready, you won't get any money from this scholarship, not until you are allowed to go to China, and when you are finally allowed, you won't be paid what they technically "owe" you, they will just begin to provide you with the monthly stipend from that time on.

Wish everyone good luck!

• 1 month later...

Daily reminder that even if you get the scholarship, your "China experience" will be through a computer screen thousands of kilometres away from the country. You also won't receive any money from this scholarship.

Here are the news:

Hong Kong Could Remain Cut Off From World Until 2024

National Immigration Administration (国家移民管理局) called on people to reduce cross-border activities this year

Lifting travel ban would be ‘catastrophic’ for China: Covid-19 expert

I hope you enjoy to study online.

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi Guys,

little update. Embassy recommended me for the scholarship and will forward my docs to the CSC this week. I guess now it is waiting time.

I also asked about China's "no-covid" policy and about getting a Visa. -> Lady from the embassy said that there is a possibility that the Unis I applied for will allow students to come back eventually (I applied for Tsinghua, SJTU and Fudan). I have nothing to lose so lets see; if they don't open up you can always reject the scholarship. Be sure to have a plan b

On 2/21/2022 at 10:47 AM, mitosan said:

Unis I applied for will allow students to come back eventually (I applied for Tsinghua, SJTU and Fudan)

It's not a matter of what the unis want to do, it's a matter of what the central government wants to do. If China starts issuing visas, they will do so regardless of the university. Anyway, so far the entry policy hasn't changed, and there are no signs that it will do so in the near future. So yeah, get ready for studying online.

Good luck! I hope you are successful, and I hope China opens, I want to go to there finish my studies too.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Does anyone have news about entry policies in China for international students? I believe it is not a matter of university decision, but up to the governement to decide whether or not people can enter the country. 

In my case, here in Brazil, most universities do not offer stipend for PhD. So, will have to work as I study my Ph.D. any way. Besides, enrolling at a Chinese university will open more doors and improve networking. 

Good luck to you all.