Chinese-Forums

Odd Question: Looking for Plane Quiet Products (sound cancellation headphones)

speedmonk

Went throught computer district, could not find any.

If you wondering what they are, they are noise cancellation headphones. BOSE is famous for making them, but a Chinese company called Plane Quiet is making their own. They are supposed to be very good. They are expensive though, like 200US in North America.

Anyone know of any high end audio shops that might carry them?

????

Thanks,

James Macleod

There are two types of these headphones. One type is only for reducing noise, the second type (much more common within the last 10 years) allows listening to music or other audio, at the same time reducing background noise.

He didn't specify which type. Since he's willing to spend a lot of money, he's probably looking for the type that improves the audio listening experience, IMO.

One word: Etymotic. http://etymotic.com/

These are high quality headphones that also seal in your ear canal to reduce external noise by a huge amount. I use mine on the subway, plane, car, etc., and they are extremely effective, even when not listening to anything. As an added bonus, sonically these headphones are widely considered to be some of the best possible for portable audio, partially because of the tightly sealed "speaker" created by their interaction with the ear canal. I recommend the ER4P, I believe you can get these for around $200 on Ebay.

About that "Etymotic" thing.

I think that's an interesting design and one that will obviously work quite well as it is effectively an ear plug with a speaker.

However, this kind of earplug can cause damage to the year if you are not careful. When I was in the military we used these types. We had several cases of people who attempted to push them in a little bit farther, and broke the thin membrane that is in the outside of the eardrum area or they had "compactions", where wax was pushed down inside.

Of course it is because they worked so well and formed such a tight seal that the military uses these. Just be careful and know that pushing them farther in does not necessarily mean a better experience .

Basicly I just want some headphones that cut out the excess noise and let me listen to music. The cheaper versions which I have bought tried and returned are not worth buying. If you are wearing them for hours get good ones.

They have something called extreme isolation, which uses passive sound damping but reduces the noise by like 30db. Which would be useful for some chinese music.

The BOSE ones are nice but are so stupidly expensive I just can't buy them.

:(

The BOSE ones are nice but are so stupidly expensive I just can't buy them.
Don't pay for the hype!:mrgreen:

Have you tried looking into options such as Sony MDR-EX71SL, Sharp HP-MD33S, PIONEER CL30, Panasonic RPHJE50, etc? (or a little more expensive ones such as Shure E2C). I wouldn't pay more than the prices for these, which are between £25-35 (£65 for the Shure E2C).