Chinese-Forums

Tips for passing HSK6?

Serg

Hello guys, not so long ago I passed HSK5 with a decent grade. I pretty much studied by myself, and followed what I call a "multidisciplinary" approach to the language. Basically, instead of just reviewing HSK material, I also watch Chinese series, bilibili videos, read news, write hanzi, speak Chinese, etc. The thing is that lately I'm feel my approach is becoming less effective, I'm not absorbing as much vocabulary as I would like, and not as fast as I would like. I feel I'm getting stuck, so I was wondering what could I do to improve. Those who have already passed HSK6, do you have any tips? Any advice to improve my approach?

On 2/23/2022 at 5:15 PM, Serg said:

I pretty much studied by myself, and followed what I call a "multidisciplinary" approach to the language. Basically, instead of just reviewing HSK material, I also watch Chinese series, bilibili videos, read news, write hanzi, speak Chinese, etc.

Sounds like you have a well balanced approach. Is HSK 6 required for your work? If not, maybe just relax and enjoy the current slower pace, let things soak in gradually, let your language skills grow organically over time. Fastest is not always best. When the borders re-open, whenever that might be, go to China for a while and see if being there leads you to want to modify your learning strategy, such as perhaps trying a spell of learning with a native teacher.   

(Must disclose that I have not taken any HSK tests and do not plan to, so my advice may not be the most suitable for you.)  

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

At this level you often don’t get enough challenging input from your daily life. For HSK6 level you might want to read articles on different topics and watch videos of new more advanced topics. 

if your goal is to take the HSK6 exam, then definitely hitting the books with Standard HSK6 Series will help, then complement that with articles, shows, podcasts etc. 

• Like 1