Chinese-Forums

My 18 months experience of reading original Chinese webnovels

MoonIvy

@MoshenIf I was to start again, I would still start with children's content but I would start a bit later. Knowing what I know now, I would definitely complete the stories that I find interesting on Little Fox Chinese, and maybe buy DuChinese premium for a month or two before starting. Interest is a difficult one, I personally found most of them to be quite interesting. They reminded me of similar stories/books that I loved as a child, so it was extremely nogistic. 

Having compared some learner reading materials (i.e. Little Fox Chinese, DuChinese, Mandarin Comparison), they are still miles away from native adult novels. Creators of reading machine for learners would write this with the learner in mind, they would use only certain grammar structure/writing style, stick to certain words and be sure to repeat words through the story. However, authors that write native adult content are writing for a literate adult, they don't need to care about sticking to certain words, and they will use whatever word, chengyu, grammar structure, writing style they feel like. I'll quicky also mention the length of original native adult novels, nothing out there for learners can even compare to this! Having said all that, so far, I've found young children's books to be the middle ground between content for learners and native adult novels. They are longer than content for learners, uses a decent amount of common chengyus, more advance grammar, but still relatively short, with shorter chapters, sentences and paragraphs. 

Some people are able to go from something like Mandarin Comparison to adult novels straight away, but I couldn't. Just the length (total length, and chapter length) of adult novels were already off putting enough for me. It was extremely satisifying to finish a book every 2-3 weeks. For me, this was a big motiviator during an extremely difficult period.

I only really spent 9 months on children's content, and for me, it was 9 months well spent. I only had to deal with it for 9 months, and now I never have to do it again.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2022 at 6:54 PM, MoonIvy said:

I thought I’ll share with you my experience of spending 18 months reading original Chinese novels everyday, novels I had previously never read in any other form.

Thank you for this great write-up! It clearly worked really well for you and the way you explain it, anyone can see what you did and choose to follow in your footsteps.

Aside from this write-up, I just want to say I'm glad you came to the forums. Web novels are bigger and bigger these days and it's great to have someone aboard with clear expertise and experience with these books. I hope you stick around!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for sharing your experiences MoonIvy, this was an incredible write-up! It’s motivating to see others use extensive reading successfully, it is such a powerful approach, both in terms of effectiveness and enjoyment as @KupGriye mentioned.

Fully agree that the jump between “advanced” graded readers and native content is massive, something I’m still working hard to bridge. I also found children material essential for this gap. I’ve met  resistance around this, but imo a little open-mindedness goes a long way for language learning. I’m finally starting to feel “on the other side” of the bridge, onto my third adult novel, 活着.

Sprinkling a few web novels into my reading list would definitely shake things up in a good way, so I’ll have to have a look through  your list.

edit: two questions.

1) What are your thoughts on using mono-lingual dictionaries?

2) Any desire or plans to go to paper? (Realize this may not be applicable with web novels)

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 9:51 PM, Dr Mack Rettosy said:

1) What are your thoughts on using mono-lingual dictionaries?

I like them. Reading in Chinese and looking up unknown words in Chinese is the ultimate goal! However, I definitely wouldn't recommend using it exclusively at the beginning, something that it worth slowly dipping into. I'm been using 微信读书 (a native digital book/webnovel platform) quite a bit lately, so been trying out their inbuilt cn->cn dictionary. I find it's pretty good and explains words very well.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:51 PM, Dr Mack Rettosy said:

2) Any desire or plans to go to paper? (Realize this may not be applicable with web novels)

You'll be surprise the number of webnovels that recieve a physical published version. You'll find quite a good amount of recent published novels originated from a webnovel. Sometimes the webnovel version will get updated to match the edited published version. In terms of whatever I'll buy physical books, it'll be very rare. I stopped buying physical books 10 years ago when I got my first Kindle (English books btw). I recently bought a new Android eReader (Boox Leaf), which I'm using for the Chinese digital books and webnovel platforms. So I get my Chinese webnovel (and published books) on a paperlike screen, who need physcial books? Having said that, I will buy some books in physical form if I really really love it, and want a copy of it to look pretty on my shelf. Getting physical Chinese books in my country is SO expensive! I'll give you an example, 幻想农场 (which I talked about in my initial write up), cost around $4 to buy from the webnovel platform, and the physical version (renamed to 不离, and splited into 2 books) is $14.27 each from BookDepository, that's a total of $28.54 .... 7 times the price. I really really really have to love it to spend that money.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...