Chinese-Forums

Buying train tickets in advance?

Pengyou

I just tried to buy train tickets online for 4/2 but all of the apps I have tried will not let me buy a ticket more than 2 weeks in advance..  Because of Covid, I have not traveled in the past 2+ years, so my thinking may be a bit foggy.  Is this a change?  I used to live in Beijing - now in Chengdu - is that the reason?  I am hoping to travel from CD to BJ.

At the moment, the official 12306 site limits bookings to two weeks ahead, so that's no doubt the rule right now.

Nothing new about this. For years the advance purchase period has been shortened at times -- often around CNY -- usually at short notice.

I assumed the 2-week thing is normal... every time I bought tickets in the last 2.5 years using the 12306 website/app or Trip.com this was the case.

Set yourself an alarm so you can get in there as soon as the tickets are on sale... 1st and 2nd class seats on the fastest trains usually sell very quickly.