Chinese-Forums

I finished a text comparing past and now. Could someone help with any potential mistakes

Andres安德肋

1.       前年我去公司,现在我居家办公了. 因为我我居家办公,我有更多时间看小说

English: Two years before I went to the office, now I work from home. I have more time to read

2.       去年我在家锻炼,现在我在/去健身房锻炼了。在身体锻炼水平比在家锻炼很高. 我觉得喜欢在身体锻炼水平

Last year I did exercise at home, today I go to the gym. The gym's exercise level is higher than the one at home. I like the gym's exercise level

3.       去年我没旅行,因为新冠疫情管控. 在四月我打算去亚马逊。我没有去过亚马逊并且大自然接触会很好.

Last year I couldn't travel because the pandemic controls. In April I plan to travel to the Amazon. I haven't been to the Amazon and it will be great opportunity to be in contact with nature.

4.       前年我就书学习汉语, 现在我看汉语的发音视频和中国新闻。我希望提高我的发音

Two years before I studied Chinese with only the book, now I watching pronunciation videos and watching Chinese news. I hope to improve my pronunciation.

5.       前年我没有时间看书,现在我有时间看书。下午我习惯喝咖啡哦和看书。我喜欢看古典小说和商业书籍

Tow years ago I didn't read books, today I'm reading. On the afternoon I'm used to drink coffee and read books. I like to read classical novels and business books.

I might give this a try; I'm a HSK6-level student.

前年我去公司,现在我居家办公了. 因为我我居家办公,我有更多时间看小说

前年我公司办公,现在我居家办公了,因此有更多时间看小说。

At the start 前年我去公司 ("Two years ago I went to the office"), it's not clear if this is a once-off or regular occurrence.  We can use 因此 = "because of this" here to eliminate the redundancy.  However, if you wanted to use the latter structure, we can omit the first 我, i.e., 因为居家办公,我有更多时间看小说.  Also note that the Chinese full-stop "。" is different to the English full stop ".", and strictly speaking this would be considered a punctuation error.

去年我在家锻炼,现在我在/去健身房锻炼了。在身体锻炼水平比在家锻炼很高. 我觉得喜欢在身体锻炼水平

去年我在家锻炼,现在我在/去健身房锻炼了。在健身房锻炼比在家里好得多所以我喜欢在健身房锻炼。

The first sentence seems correct (regardless of 在 or 去), although I'd be tempted to insert an 一般 after the first 我 to emphasize it's not just a once-off.  I don't really understand the second part (in Chinese and English [I'm not sure what "level" means in "The gym's exercise level"]), so I took a guess at what I think it could be.  In any case, 觉得喜欢 (gluing the verbs "to feel" and "to like" together) is wrong.

去年我没旅行,因为新冠疫情管控. 在四月我打算去亚马逊。我没有去过亚马逊并且大自然接触会很好.

因为防控新冠疫情措施,去年我没旅行。我打算四月去亚马逊。我没有去过亚马逊,这是一个接触大自然的好机会

While I believe "A,因为B" is considered correct, my experience is that there's a preference in Chinese towards writing "因为B,A" (in the same vein as 因为……所以……).  I feel 因为新冠疫情管控 is incomplete (although maybe others would disagree): there's a variety of ways of expressing this; in addition to the version I give, we could append 的需要 or 的原因 to the original.  I think a 过 is needed in the first part, since we're writing using the "experiential" aspect (you did not experience travelling during the specified time period).  As per my understanding, if you write 在四月我打算……, it implies in April you'll make a plan (although maybe I'm being too pedantic).  I don't think 在四月 is wrong, but the 在 is not needed.  I feel that 大自然接触 uses an incorrect word order: it should be 接触大自然 or 和大自然接触.  The last part is just screaming to use the structure 这是一个[pla pla pla]的好机会.  The 并且 seems inappropriate here because "I haven't gone to the Amazon" and "it is good opportunity to get in touch with nature" are not really connected (one describes "I" and one describes "an opportunity").  If you want to connect them, you could write something like 我没去过亚马逊,并且我想多和大自然接触,所以我认为四月去亚马逊旅行是个好主意。

前年我就书学习汉语, 现在我看汉语的发音视频和中国新闻。我希望提高我的发音

前年我用课本学习汉语,现在我看汉语发音视频和中新闻。我想这样提高自己的发音。

You're kind of developing a rigid grammar structure here; it's not wrong, but it's a bit clunky.  Consider using 之前……如今……., and adding in words like 通常 which clarifies what 现在 is referring to (right this second?  or habitually?).  "Chinese pronunciation" describe a type of "video" (rather than "Chinese" describing a type of "pronunciation video"), so I think the 的 should be before the 视频.  Note that while 中国新闻 means "Chinese news", this "Chinese" pertains to the country, rather than the language.  In the last part, I feel 想 is a better choice of verb (than 希望) but I can't explain why; I added a 这样 = "in this way" to connect it to the previous content, and use 自己 to avoid repetition of 我 (my former teacher would often tell me off for this, and it's ingrained now).

前年我没有时间看书,现在我有时间看书。下午我习惯喝咖啡哦和看书。我喜欢看古典小说和商业书籍

前年不同,现在我有时间看书。下午我习惯喝咖啡看书。我喜欢看古典小说和商业

The first part is not wrong, just repetitious.  If you want to talk about simultaneous actions 边……边…… (or one of its variants) is the way to go about it.  书籍 refers to a large body of work ("the collected works of Shakespeare" is an example of a 书籍), and, as per my understanding, it's not a suitable choice of word for afternoon reading.

I hope this is all accurate and helpful (and I haven't goofed!).

• Like 1