Chinese-Forums

Why do many students give up learning Chinese around the HSK4 level?

becky82

On 4/3/2022 at 8:53 AM, amytheorangutan said:

I stopped studying the HSK books after HSK4

I've just thought: do most classes uses HSK textbooks as their principal textbooks these days? I'm wondering whether teachers assume students only want to study towards the HSK, and students assume that teachers think studying towards the HSK is the most efficient path. But perhaps neither of these things are true in many/most cases?

@realmayoI definitely find most group classes use HSK books as their principal textbooks. Probably because they think most people would want to take the HSK test at some point either as a requirement for further study or work or just a way to mark their personal progress. The books are fine for the first 3 or 4 because most of us when we started from zero it's almost doesn't matter what book we use as long as it's not too awfully outdated but once you get to intermediate/upper intermediate that's when you notice how ineffective, boring and irrelevant the HSK books are.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After HSK4, I choose to continue with 发展汉语 books instead of HSK5 and it's the best decision I made. HSK5 is pretty much written Chinese so yeah, as so comments here said also, it won't make you that much better at speaking.