Chinese-Forums

Active Chinese speaking communities outside China

david387

So I'm hoping to find some active Chinese communities where people are speaking Chinese, and hopefully busy communities where there's always someone there chatting so it's more of a real-time experience.

It could involve text messaging, or Voice messages, or even video, but I'm especially looking for something that is not controlled by the Chinese government.

Any suggestions?

And by the way, I have been exploring Facebook, but I feel a little bit like there may be some Chinese control going on there too but I may be wrong about that. In other words there are some large Facebook groups whose administrators are Chinese.

Now there are lots of communities where you can find people to chat with one-on-one but I'm looking more for something that is public where everyone can talk and chat together and there are multiple points of view being discussed because there are multiple people involved in that discussion.

Chat about what?

I suspect anything that's just a generic 'chat' group is ultimately going to attract the bored and troublesome. Why not look for a community you're somehow aligned with? Think in terms of communities of place (Chinese folk in your city swopping restaurant recommendations and advice on negotiating local bureaucracy), communities of practice (Rock-climbers, guitarists, accountants) and communities of circumstance (support groups for people with a particular illness, or coping with redundancy).

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1