Chinese-Forums

Resources for immersion, Chinese media, TV dramas, books, audiobook, guides to native platforms & more

MoonIvy

@MoonIvy, thank you so much for your recommendations!

I'm currently listening to 三体 during my commute, and I'll make 末日乐园 my next project. It is a good challenge since my listening isn't quite yet good enough to follow an unfamiliar audiobook. I've read 三体 in English and I find don't have trouble with it being familiar with the story.

Haha, I'm not really "allergic" to those genres I mentioned, except for maybe high school drama... I just can't stand any kind of teenage angst or teenage finding yourself stories. I just don't relate to them and I've just seen too many of them in the past.

I do like romance, if there is something else to the story too, and historical settings are interesting. I've just been avoiding (and saving for later) historical drama because the language used in them isn't that standard. But I guess at this this point I won't be in danger of picking up any weirdness to my 口语 from them any more. For example, I liked 相爱穿梭千年 a lot!

赘婿 looks good! I'll see if I'll binge on it this week! ?

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 9:25 AM, alantin said:

I do like romance, if there is something else to the story too,

Well, if you have time, give 《撒野》a go, might not be what you expect, might surprise you :)

On 4/24/2022 at 9:25 AM, alantin said:

Haha, I'm not really "allergic" to those genres I mentioned, except for maybe high school drama...

SAME! I can't stand high school drama or anything overly cheesy when it's comes to romance content, it's so cringy!

On 4/23/2022 at 2:14 PM, abcdefg said:

they effected a daring rescue before and during the first parts of a volcanic eruption near the Pacific "Ring of Fire." Also saved a whale who had gotten beached and was drying out. Does it ring a bell?

If you liked this one, you should also check out the Octonauts movie where they save the Great Barrier Reef from crown of thorns starfish.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 19.04.2022 at 5:33 PM, MoonIvy said:

Recommendations, suggestions and feedback is always welcome, so please do let me know if you have any thoughts or questions.

@MoonIvy Do you have links to resources for finding jobs in the US for Chinese citizens?

On 19.04.2022 at 5:33 PM, MoonIvy said:

I'll like to share with you a website myself and other Chinese language learners have been working on over the last few months https://heavenlypath.notion.site/

I want to note that this site of yours is also very useful. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'll like to get some feedback and opinions on a few aspects on the webnovel & books page on Heavenly Path. https://heavenlypath.notion.site/Webnovels-Books-29ee006777bd4d9fbbd0ea5eb29ec514

If anyone has a few moments to check out the page & screenshot, then answer the below questions, it'll be super helpful!

image.thumb.png.1bf60f5d4ee378a664e456864c1c4335.png

1) Added a Free tag to novels that are free to read on official platforms. Do you think this is important information?
2) Changed the Short Novels view to be novels that are under 200k characters. We were not really sure what should be considered as short. What are you thoughts on this? Do you think we need a view for longer novels? Do you prefer shorter or longer novels?
3) Added a new view called Recent Releases which contains novels that were released in the last 10 years. Does the title "Recent Releases" make sense? Do you have a suggestion for a better name?

4) Do you think the Intermediate, Upper Intermediate, Advanced views are important? 
5) What other views would you like to see?

Let me know if you have any other suggestions or feedback for this page. Thanks :D

• Like 1
  • Good question! 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi @MoonIvy, thank you so much for sharing this website with us, I find it really useful and full of interesting tips.

I have a slightly OT question for you: would you say that the webnovels you and the other website editors recommend on the website are also popular among Chinese teenagers/young adults?

I'm looking for fiction books that are popular within this age group (say 14- to 20-year-olds), and I was wondering whether those mentioned can fit the bill.

Thanks again, I have just started my journey into reading Chinese novels, but your website gives me a lot of motivation!

• New Members

Also, to answer some of your questions:

On 7/28/2022 at 12:53 PM, MoonIvy said:

1) Added a Free tag to novels that are free to read on official platforms. Do you think this is important information?
2) Changed the Short Novels view to be novels that are under 200k characters. We were not really sure what should be considered as short. What are you thoughts on this? Do you think we need a view for longer novels? Do you prefer shorter or longer novels?
3) Added a new view called Recent Releases which contains novels that were released in the last 10 years. Does the title "Recent Releases" make sense? Do you have a suggestion for a better name?

4) Do you think the Intermediate, Upper Intermediate, Advanced views are important? 
5) What other views would you like to see?

1) definitely the "free" tag is useful, and I would add it as filter on top too. I think for people who are just starting, beginning with free material can be better -- so if we don't like it we can move on to something else, and if we do, then we can move on to paid-for content)

2) I don't really have an answer to this yet, but again, being that I'm now I think I prefer shorter novels -- in fact, that's the filter I used the most to search for interesting material that I could use to start from.

3) "Recent Releases" makes sense to me.

4) Absolutely yes, I definitely want to be able to filter the novels by level of difficulty.

5) I think it would be useful to tag the novel by age range, so I know whether I'm looking at a children's book, teen novel or YA novel and so on. This could be both a tag and a filter on top, to make searching for specific types of books easier.

I hope this helps!

On 8/9/2022 at 2:17 PM, Ms Laowai said:

I have a slightly OT question for you: would you say that the webnovels you and the other website editors recommend on the website are also popular among Chinese teenagers/young adults?

I'm looking for fiction books that are popular within this age group (say 14- to 20-year-olds), and I was wondering whether those mentioned can fit the bill.

Not all the webnovels will be interesting for teenagers or young adults. There are some that would be more suitable for someone older, such of romance about older working class people or the really heavy ancient political stories. Young audiences may not find those stories interesting. 

Webnovels with a Campus tag are stories set in high school or university so those might be more interesting for you. 

On 8/9/2022 at 2:24 PM, Ms Laowai said:

5) I think it would be useful to tag the novel by age range, so I know whether I'm looking at a children's book, teen novel or YA novel and so on. This could be both a tag and a filter on top, to make searching for specific types of books easier.

This is interesting! I'll let the other editors know and see what they think.

Thanks for your comments and feedback!

This site is awesome, and might single-handedly give me the spark I need to continue exporing Chinese through native content. One thing I'd love to see is music. Two of my favorite bands currently 大象体操 and Chinese Football. I'd love to explore further but it's tough!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 12:18 AM, PerpetualChange said:

This site is awesome, and might single-handedly give me the spark I need to continue exporing Chinese through native content. One thing I'd love to see is music. Two of my favorite bands currently 大象体操 and Chinese Football. I'd love to explore further but it's tough!

Thank you, such a lovely comment! Immerse yourself in native Chinese content is a great way to use the language and continue to improve!