Chinese-Forums

Langtern: new app to help you learn Chinese. Free, no ads.

noec

• New Members

Hi everyone.

I am a software developer and I study Chinese. I have created a free mobile app to help myself and others learn Chinese. Its name is "Langtern". It focuses on giving you real-world Chinese material (newspapers, youtube videos, and dramas) and helping you understand it. It is available for iOS and Android.

It is free and it has no ads or hidden costs. In the future, I plan to have a paid "teacher mode" that helps teachers create exercises easily but currently, it only has the "student mode", which is and will be completely free.

In the student mode there are more features apart from the real-world material I mentioned, including an ebook/PDF reader with dictionary lookup and exercises (e.g. reading, fill the gaps, describing stuff, listening) and flashcards created directly when looking up words while reading/watching material.

I would be very grateful if you could give it a try and give some feedback and suggestions. You can download it from:

- App Store (iOS): https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1578011970

- Google Play (Android): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.langtern.chinese

• Like 1

Hi Noe,

If this works as advertised it will be a great app!

I downloaded the Android version and when I went to look at articles on BBC Chinese, the instruction says to tap on any word to see its meaning.  But I tried tapping everywhere and never got a definition to pop up.

In addition, the print is really small and I couldn't see how to make it larger.  (Of course I tried pinching and expanding, didn't work.)

• Thanks 1

• New Members

Oh, how embarrassing! I'm very sorry for the problem with the BBC pages, they must have changed their page recently.

Anyway, I have solved the problem and I released an update of the app. @Moshen if you find the time, please update to the last version let me know if it works properly now.

As a bonus, in the new version I have added the possibility of controlling the text zoom level from the menu on the top-right part marked as "...".

• Like 1