Chinese-Forums

china-japan, japan-china travel

sailorphyn

does any have information on the cheapest ways to get to/from mainland china to/from tokyo? i know that there are a few ferrys that are significantly cheaper than flying. what cities do they leave from? when researching airfare, the cheapest round trips I could find were $700 or $800, about the same price as flying from the US. is there anything cheaper? Is it cheaper to buy tickets in China and/or Japan than it is here?

I'm asking because my SO is thinking of going to Tokyo for a year or two, and I would like to spend part of the year in Tokyo, part of the year in China (preferably Beijing). I'm wondering if it is financially feasible to have this kind of LD relationship in East Asia.

It depends from where in China and to where in Japan and when.

From Shanghai to Tokyo is about 3000 rmb return, you might be able to find cheaper deals

(From Shanghai to Osaka can be about 2100 rmb)

During public holidays prices go up.

Last time I payed about 3400rmb but just before that I payed 2400rmb so it changes (I'm talking shanghai- Tokyo)

so it sounds like prices were cheaper for those who paid in rmb. how did you buy tickets? did you use a travel agent or go directly to the airline office in china? which airline did you fly? are there any good websites with cheap beijing/shanghai-tokyo tickets?

also if shanghai-osaka is cheaper, is flying into osaka an option? it seems that the cost of the train ticket from osaka to tokyo would more than exceed the difference in price.

Even though flying to Osaka is cheaper , if your destination is Tokyo better fly to Tokyo ,as transportation in Japan is not cheap at all.

I usually order the tickets by phone and they bring it to the office.

In Shanghai you can pick up a copy of 'That's Shanghai' in most coffee shops and call the travel agents there. They probably have an online edition.The travel agents are usually very helpful but not all of them speak English.

The cheapest airline is usually China Eastern

Hope that helps...

Try having a look at the international offers on Elong.net, they usually have relatively cheap prices. They're currently showing returns BJ-Tokyo as cheap as 2500, although as these are 'offers' you can't be sure of getting that price until the ticket is in your hand.

Roddy