Chinese-Forums

third tone sounding like fourth tone?

wibr

I have no problem with 好可憐 (because 豪客連 makes no sense. besides, there's the exaggerated creaky voice indicating she meant to keep it at the lowest for effect). On the other hand, I couldn't make sense of 掌朗 (長老? what is he doing in a classroom?) until I saw the transcript.

I'd like to say that listening comprehension is a heuristic process, in which the most important organ is brain rather than ear. Machine is better than human ear in recognizing sounds, but they haven't figured out how to wreck a nice beach you sing calm incense.

At the beginner stage, you make sure you can hear the tone differences (and can reproduce them accurately). At an advanced stage, however, you forget all the tone contour, vowel quality, place of articulation, etc. That's how you cope with real life conversation. In real life, people make weird noises. And third tone like fourth is no more egregious than zh like z. No big deal.

• Like 3

On 6/12/2022 at 6:43 PM, Publius said:

And third tone like fourth is no more egregious than zh like z. No big deal.

Is z for zh something you'd expect to hear a, for instance, Harbin native say very occasionally? Like a genuine misspeaking?

Edit: I only ask because I'm curious about whether the interesting pronunciation of 可 above is just random or not.