Chinese-Forums

Delete personal profile and all posts.

After a bad experience with weimake and a moderator, I have decided to delete all my posts and my personal profile from this site. I do not go into the details as otherwise this post could be deleted too, but as the policy on the basis of which posts are kept or deleted do not reflect anymore my ideals of a transparent space free from too much advertising, I'd like that all the information, that can relate me to this site, be deleted.

Obviously I'm not referring to all those members who have added in their signature preferences their affiliation or products, that choice is of course the best practice to assure a good evaluation of the posts by the whole community.

Anyway, if I'm not wrong, it's my right to control my digital identity and prevent it from being reconnected to a forum whose functioning, recently, I have started not to share anymore.

I don't know how to do it, so for the moment I've just deleted all my posts.

If someone could help me, I would be really thankful.

Thank you also to all have contributed, in these 10 years, to my journey in the Chinese language.

I vaguely recall that some years ago when we were all given eternal right to edit our posts that there was a friendly warning it wasn't meant to be used for wholesale deletion of posts, in line with forum policy:

"To protect the integrity of discussions we do not remove posts at users' request (although we will on occasion remove information such as contact details, etc)."

• Like 1

@Miko, it is up to you, but what is the point? "For fun" I googled your username and there are virtually no hits (aside from a Hebrew Harry Potter forum from 20 years ago... (?)). So, you are basically anonymous anyway and might just as well be a bot/NPC, I would not be able to tell (no offence intended)... 

We ask that people don't delete their posts. My answer "It's just outside the Second Ring Road, north of Jishuitan," becomes useless if the question "Where is BNU" is deleted. But some members maintain wiki-like posts where they're updating something over the course of years, and I suspect I'm not the only one who has sneakily edited a typo they spotted in a post made a decade ago, so it remains possible to edit long-term. Given that, there's not a lot we can do if someone wants to remove their content. 

A request for account deletion involves anonymising the username and removing IP data / email. See interface in the attachment. With username obscured, obvs.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

On 6/29/2022 at 11:27 AM, 889 said:

As an aside, after almost 20 years there are a lot of interesting threads tucked away in the archives. Maybe revive one every week or two.

Excellent idea, go for it 889!