Chinese-Forums

Participants Recruiting -- Tone perception training

Yanyu

• New Members

Hi Everyone! I’m a PhD student in speech and language sciences looking for native English speakers interested in participating in my study.

The study involves several language perceptual (listening) tasks lasting within 30 minutes. It will be conducted online. You will only need a computer, a keyboard, and headphones to access the study. Specifically, I’m exploring to what extent the training paradigm I designed can help improve listeners’ ability on distinguishing tones, i.e., pitch patterns that contrast word meanings. Tone is particularly challenging for people learning a new tonal language, such as Mandarin, Cantonese, or Thai. Even advanced learners have reported to keep having difficulties with tones. Participants will potentially benefit from the training in the study regarding their language perceptual learning ability. All data collected will be anonymised and stored securely.

If you are interested in the study, please contact y.li218@newcastle.ac.uk and I will send you the study link by email. If you have any questions or would like any further information, please don’t hesitate to contact me.