Chinese-Forums

Insult Translation

Larry Language Lover

Larry Language Lover

Can someone please tell me what these 2 things mean?

你是个芋头。憨波子

恁娘了个逼

Had a weird experience on HelloTalk.   Chinese guy writes in Chinese asking if I understand Chinese.  I replied I understand a little.  He immediately tried to do a voice call without asking.   I rejected the call.  He tried again.  I wrote that I can't video/voice call right now.

These two sentences where his response, plus a 3rd sentence in Chinese asking if I understood the meaning.   Thanks.

Someone with more experience than me, and more of a diplomatic tongue can validate my suggestions, but it seems that there are two different levels of insult involved.

In the first sentence of the first of the two utterances, he calls you a potato head. The same expression is used in Japanese, often roughly corresponding to "hillbilly" or "redneck." I think the second sentence in the first utterance would call you an amiable dunce, or a kind of harmless fool. Someone with more experience can confirm or correct this.

In the second sentence, I think he is escalating the level of nastiness quite a bit. I think it has to do with females in your family or of your acquaintance, and ... Well, you get the picture.

If you want to look this kind of thing up in PLECO, you may not find the specific form of the expression in your example. So you have to choose the main word in the expression individually, then look it up. In the header line after the entry, but before the list of example sentences, there will be a list of categories: Character, Words, Sentences, etc. Consulting one of those will give you a better idea of how the word can be used.

I'm sure someone else will be along shortly who's better at this than I am.

TBZ

Larry Language Lover

It's weird because there was absolutely no communication previously except for asking if I speak Chinese.

I wrote back "you're not a nice person are you? What happened to your education?  Were you born in a barn with the animals?"

Then it disappeared because I think he blocked me. LOL.

Not before I was able to report him to HelloTalk, however.  They have a great feature where you can tick sentences in the chat to include in your report.

On 7/20/2022 at 3:30 PM, Larry Language Lover said:

It's weird

Welcome to the internet, it's full of terrible people.

Although, actually, I feel we have all learned some Chinese here.

• Like 1