Chinese-Forums

Can some help me translating this old chinese mention ?

arnold68

• New Members

Hi,

I'm trying to translate the Chinese mention on what I believe is an old key ring from a former european school in China in the late 19th or early 20th century. Trying to figure out what is written on it and if the name of this school is mentioned. 

Thanks a lot for your help !

IMG_20220815_135120.thumb.jpg.a3297c68c6a17d4a8696471183fa1644.jpg

IMG_20220815_135121.jpg

By which I believe he means:

Girl's Middle School of (associated with/sponsored by) (privately sponsored) Beijing (at that time, Peking) DaoMing University...

Based on the timing, the lines between and among secondary and tertiary education may be a bit blurred compared to current usage...

I'm open to correction, as always...

Edited in comment: I think it may also be possible, if DaoMing University is not actually in Beijing/Peking, for the Girl's Middle School to be the Peking Branch Girl's Middle School of DaoMing University.

TBZ

• Helpful 2

On 8/15/2022 at 10:27 PM, Publius said:

私立道明大學北京附屬女中學

Was puzzling over it for ages and could only make out the obvious characters!

Can't find anything concrete about the university from a search but looks like the Daoming is a common translation of St Dominic/Dominican and associated with Catholic educational institutions; the pattern in the centre also resembles the coat of arms of the Dominican Order.

• Helpful 2

• New Members
On 8/16/2022 at 4:47 AM, Jim said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks a lot for your prompt and helpful answer. The item was found in France and the symbol is indeed the coat of arms of the Dominican order, so pieced together, everything makes sense.

The mystery is unraveled, thanks to you !

• Like 1