Chinese-Forums

Living in China as a first time int. student

Anano

Hello,

Can you give me some general advises about being a student in China? I am doing my master`s. It will be my first time studying there, I am very happy but confused and a bit scared at the same time, so any kind of advice about culture, people, costs , study process would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

>>"so any kind of advice about culture, people, costs , study process would be highly appreciated."

You will probably have better results here by asking one or two specific questions about life in China. When a question is too broad, it tends to be ignored. 

I hope you enjoy living in China and have a good experience in graduate school. If I had to come up with one small piece of advice it would probably be to reach out and get to know local people instead of becoming part of a foreigner group. In order to do that, you will need to prioritize learning the language.

In other words, beware the "foreigner bubble."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you're referring to Qingdao (my hometown), all I can say is stay in Laoshan, Shibei, and Shinan districts. If you go further East, you'll be in the tourism trap if you go north people will be shocked to the see the outsider.

Enjoy Qingdao. It's a city with long history of interacting with foreign people.

If you have specific questions about Qingdao, let me know.

Unless you're in China Petroleum University Huangdao... that place is like a new city, different from Qingdao.

• 2 months later...

Congratulations on your decision to study in China! It can be an exciting and rewarding experience, but as you mentioned, it can also be a bit overwhelming at first. Here are a few general tips that may help you as you prepare to study in China:

1. Research the culture and customs of China before you go. This will help you understand the local way of life and avoid any misunderstandings or cultural faux pas.

2. Learn some basic Mandarin before you go. Even if you don't become fluent, being able to speak a few words and phrases in the local language can go a long way in helping you make friends and feel more at home in China.

3. Budget carefully and save as much money as you can before you go. China is generally a very affordable country to live in, but it's still important to be prepared financially, especially if you are studying in a major city.

4. Be open-minded and adaptable. China can be a very different place from what you are used to, so it's important to be willing to try new things and go with the flow.

5. Make an effort to meet local people and make friends. China has a rich and diverse culture, and getting to know the locals can be a great way to learn more about the country and its people.

Overall, the most important thing is to be prepared and stay positive. With a bit of research and planning, you can have a wonderful time studying in China. Good luck!