Chinese-Forums

How to talk dirty in Chinese

SLiu1996

On 9/21/2022 at 12:06 PM, SLiu1996 said:

I just wanted to share more fun words. Maybe I can find a better way.

You could simply start a new thread, maybe generally about slang, to include "impolite" slang but not be limited to it. I read your book and found that I recognized most of the words and phrases, just from having lived in China a long time and using the language in a wide range of "real life" situations. A new thread could go beyond "talking dirty."

Part of what makes it interesting to me is that vernacular speech, slang of any type, is so fast-changing. Sometimes slang can be age specific, other times it can be occupation specific. Such as teenager slang or taxi driver slang. I've seen it relate to a popular TV show that "everyone" was watching or a popular movie that "everyone" had seen. I remember that some slang was fashionable at the time of the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I remember that some other slang was used at the time of the World Cup. Sometimes it can be completely idiosyncratic. Interesting to read about and discuss even when one has no intention of actually using these words. 

125% support that suggestion...

The Kindle version of your book isn't behaving well on my devices. And I haven't had time to find a hard copy version, although I promise that I will. 

Periodic selections from the book, and well-chosen, interesting selections from the not yet published volumes 2 and 3 would be greatly appreciated.

Just seconding previously expressed emotions...

TBZ

• Like 2

On 9/22/2022 at 7:06 AM, TheBigZaboon said:

The Kindle version of your book isn't behaving well on my devices

Same here. Main problems I'm finding are that it is difficult to navigate (go forwards or back) and that it isn't searchable. Can't look something up either by using an index or even by using the table of contents. Makes it less useful, even though it contains lots of good content. 

• Like 1