Chinese-Forums

Tourist Visa Renewal

zhugeliang

I know this isn't exactly the right section to ask about tourist visas, but I know a lot of you on here must have experience with this, and this was the closest section I could find. I'm staying in China for a while (perhaps 6 months) but I don't have the benefit of a work visa, so I'm trying to make as good of use of the tourist visas as I can. I don't mind running out to Hong Kong sometimes to renew my visa.

Does anyone with experience here know the recent situation with renewing tourist visas in China? I'm planning to stay in China for quite a few months on a tourist visa. I've only stayed for one so far, and so I just applied to have my double-entry visa renewed in Guangzhou, and because I did it before the National Day Holiday (September 30th), I won't get it back until later this week. Now, my 30 days were up on October 7th, but I was told by the police that this is OK because I'm in the process of applying for a new one. I never used the 2nd entry on my visa, but its' "valid until" date is several months in the future still. Now that you know my situation, I have a few questions about the visas in general:

1. what are the chances that my renewal will get denied? (This is my first time applying for a renewal.)

2. If it's denied, will I get charged for the extra time I was there past when my old one expired? (I heard it's 500 Yuan per day?)

3. They wouldn't let me renew as a double-entry visa, they told me I could only renew as a single-entry for 30 days. However, I never used the 2nd entry on my original visa. If I exit to Hong Kong (or another country) and come back to the mainland, will I get to use that 2nd entry on my old visa for another 30 days? What about if my renewal is denied, can I probably still use it then?

4. If my renewal is denied, or even if it's accepted, at the end of the month I'm planning to go to Hong Kong and try to get another visa, possibly a 60- or 90-day one. Does anyone know if this is difficult to get? What if it's right after my renewal was denied, will it lower my chances?

Thanks in advance - I'm really hoping some of you who have been through this before can help me out with your experiences!

I haven't been in this exact situtation, but based on what I know . . .

1) A first time renewal which was accepted by the PSB with no comment is unlikely to be refused.

2) The fine for visa overstay is 500Y per day, but it's often waived, particularly if you 'fess up and apologise / explain at the border - assuming of course it's just a few days and you haven't been in China for three extra years. I guess if they did reject your application they might try and fine you at the border, but I think it's very unlikely that either of those things will happen.

3) Your old visa should be cancelled when they issue the new one. so no.

4) If you can't get the visa you want in HK through the official channels, an agency should be able to help you. I've used Japan Travel with no problems, and they've answered email enquiries previously.

You don't mention what your passport is - US passports can be problematic.

Come back and let us know how you get on . . .

Roddy