Chinese-Forums

teaching in China

inv

Hi, 

what are prerequisites to teach internationally in china. 

I see some instructions , most of them are satisfied or achieved but cannot be sure on even some basic questions like:

1) could foreigners work at international schools? (Do schools help on visa)

2) I currently have IELTS 5.5 AC  overall score (CEFR level is B2) and is this an obstacle to teach my subject there (my subject field is not English)? (Regarding this language information : I believe that my existing level is better than this score but only this score is available now unfortunately)

yesterday ,I mailed two schools relevant mail address about the second question but I have not received any mail today. 

I have a permanent (regular) job position there but do not know whether it would also worth to fly to China if that would be possible to be a case in the convenience of transferred instructions above (i.e. leaving my existing job). 

On 10/5/2022 at 1:27 PM, inv said:

yesterday ,I mailed two schools relevant mail address about the second question but I have not received any mail today. 

I have a permanent (regular) job position there but do not know whether it would also worth to fly to China if that would be possible to be a case in the convenience of transferred instructions above (i.e. leaving my existing job). 

E-mail response from schools in China can be slow. Might be better to phone them. That way you can also explain your question in case they don't understand it the way it is written. 

• Helpful 1

oh well, after calling them  (but failing) (over) a phone contact, I send them my telephone number and requested a response.

they replied and they request my CV.

now,I think this one: should I prepare my CV as in the conformity of general understanding or are there specific format(s) for chinese schools(?)

Thanks

On 10/11/2022 at 2:02 AM, inv said:

now,I think this one: should I prepare my CV as in the conformity of general understanding or are there specific format(s) for chinese schools(?)

I don't know for sure, but I would not think so. 

It's your employers job to help with the visa (regardless if it is for a teaching position or not). Any job that tells you to pay for your own visa or deal with it yourself is not someone I would fly all the way to China for. 

You mention you already hold a position in China, that changes things a bit because before you sign on to your new job you will need your old job to cancel your current work permit so that your new employer can hire you. This process took about a month for me. 

Right now there are very few foreigners living in China, many places and positions that normally required "native english speakers only" have now dropped that requirement due to lack of expats. If its something you're interested in I would just search online. Most schools  will hire recruiters to find suitable applicants. 

Do I think its worth flying to China though? No. Currently plane tickets to China are quite expensive, plus you will be required to undergo a 7+3 quarantine period. You need to have PCR tests before entering China and if your plane stops anywhere in between you need to redo 2 more tests and reapply for a green code. 

• Helpful 1

very nice comment @grawrt with zero bad or wrong intention. Many thanks for your contribution to this thread and I shall be happy also if you respond some other queries.

First I think i need to clarify a point: I have had a job position in my own country (not in China). This is known as permanent job position as I am working in national education ministry. actually I asked whether it would worth because while my existing job position does not bring me much money, there are something that I almost always should take into account : 1) my family & my sweet mother is here 2) this position is permanent position and there is no fear to lose my job unless there is a very serious circumstance. 3) I do not know the answers of the questions given below. (meanwhile my subject field is maths)

a) how common other foreign teachers leave their job and why? 

b) with how frequency are foreign teachers needed? (Are there many schools that hire foreign teachers)

c)I have newly sent a CV, if they invite me to an interview to whats should I pay attention (Dos and Do'nts)?

Thanks.

(some details: 1) I had many times made dreams as working in the international environment 2) I am definitely willing to learn Chinese (mandarin) but do not want to make any failure in learning method. I personally believe I would be able to beter learn this nice language in China  3)I think I do nothave extra social profile. while this does not mean that I was unsociable, I think due to some of my properties, I do not spend much time at social environments ,in general and succint view, I implement my duty and go my home :) and do not know how would this affect my life if I go to China   4) the school I sent my CV says that annual airfare ticket is provided but does not mention on VISA. some people are saying that that school includes sharp students I can imagine somethings but did not work with such students, I have 2 years or more as experience in teaching but...if someone asks ,I would prefer to say I enjoy my students. baceuse to me there is none who is perfect at everything so by default I accept all of my students as "already the best profiles" :))

if any question is needed please ensure/ let me know. 

On 10/13/2022 at 12:11 AM, inv said:

a) how common other foreign teachers leave their job and why? 

b) with how frequency are foreign teachers needed? (Are there many schools that hire foreign teachers)

c)I have newly sent a CV, if they invite me to an interview to whats should I pay attention?

a) Lately many foreign teachers have left due to covid restrictions. I have seen a lot of long-term expats making their exit or planning theirs. Another reason teachers may leave their job is they found a job with better pay and better working conditions.

b) It depends on what kind of school you are looking for. If you are planning to work for a university or a public school there are hiring periods (usually before the academic year in September) so many will look into securing a new teacher by summers end. But language schools are always hiring, though some are questionable so you need to be careful. 

c) You should pay attention to the job conditions (hours per week, do you need to work office hours? Can you leave when your classes are over or do you need to stay the entire day? Will they cover flight expenses? etc.). Whatever contract they send, make sure you have someone read the chinese one to make sure it doesnt contain any questionable things. Contracts in English don't always relay everything in the original contract because they are not binding to law. 

As a math teacher you will make more than the average English teacher. If you are looking to teach math I would look into international schools as their pay is better and conditions are more favorable.  

I can't speak for your life but China for most expats is a temporary journey that eventually ends. Most expats will usually cut their losses after 8 years. So keep that in mind when you decide whether or not it is worth it to give up your permanent position. 

edit~ (sorry I didn't notice you added more)

(some details: 1) I had many times made dreams as working in the international environment 2) I am definitely willing to learn Chinese (mandarin) but do not want to make any failure in learning method. I personally believe I would be able to beter learn this nice language in China  3)I think I do nothave extra social profile. while this does not mean that I was unsociable, I think due to some of my properties, I do not spend much time at social environments ,in general and succint view, I implement my duty and go my home :) and do not know how would this affect my life if I go to China   4) the school I sent my CV says that annual airfare ticket is provided but does not mention on VISA. some people are saying that that school includes sharp students I can imagine somethings but did not work with such students, I have 2 years or more as experience in teaching but...if someone asks ,I would prefer to say I enjoy my students. baceuse to me there is none who is perfect at everything so by default I accept all of my students as "already the best profiles" :))

If it's your dream you can go for it. You'll definitely learn some Chinese here even if you aren't actively trying to learn it. China can be a fun and interesting experience. You don't have to be extra social but being social will help you get through your time in China. If you are only going to China to go to work and go home I think you'll start to miss home life for sure. If the school is offering air fare then they should supply a visa. Otherwise there is no way you can enter China without one.

For the record, chinese students are very cute, i'm sure you will enjoy working with them but they're extremely shy at first.  

Edited by grawrt
  • Helpful 1

On 10/12/2022 at 7:34 PM, grawrt said:

c) You should pay attention to the job conditions (hours per week, do you need to work office hours? Can you leave when your classes are over or do you need to stay the entire day? Will they cover flight expenses? etc.). Whatever contract they send, make sure you have someone read the chinese one to make sure it doesnt contain any questionable things. Contracts in English don't always relay everything in the original contract because they are not binding to law. 

many thanks for helpful tips. Some extensional questions:

1) sorry but I will try to ask this a bit strange question: how is the signment/aggrement happens? for instance will I have option to see and read the conditions prior to sign it and how the case is being complete? (I will say "yes,I accept the conditions" and will it be complete or a wet sign (signature) will be needed?

2) assume please I would like to stop working at the  school after a period of time. i.e. I break the contract, what happens next?

3) how to make someone read the contract? (Does this website allow)?

a specific question: do you consent to me to get in touch with you via private message ? this will be regarding potential health circmstances.

Thanks again

On 10/12/2022 at 12:20 PM, inv said:

2) assume please I would like to stop working at the  school after a period of time. i.e. I break the contract, what happens next?

Accepting a job when you are already thinking you might like to break the contract is not recommended anywhere. Perhaps you should stay home and continue with your current employment instead.  

Another point that everyone else has been too polite to mention: Your English is atrocious. I realize you will be teaching math, but the language of instruction is probably going to be English. Your students will struggle to understand you. 

On 10/13/2022 at 4:16 PM, abcdefg said:

Accepting a job when you are already thinking you might like to break the contract is not recommended anywhere. Perhaps you should stay home and continue with your current employment instead.  

that is not a thing as in the way you have understood. just make your personal assumptions and follow that way,eh!

On 10/13/2022 at 4:16 PM, abcdefg said:

Another point that everyone else has been too polite to mention: Your English is atrocious. I realize you will be teaching math, but the language of instruction is probably going to be English. Your students will struggle to understand you. 

I am not sure whether a B2  or higher  level of English would be equivalent of "atrocious".??

anyway,I think I should not have to communicate with impolite personalities.

On 10/5/2022 at 7:27 PM, inv said:

I currently have IELTS 5.5 AC  overall score (CEFR level is B2) and is this an obstacle to teach my subject there (my subject field is not English)?

My guess is that: if a Chinese school is hiring an English-speaking maths teacher, it is not because they do not have enough maths teachers in China. Instead, it is because they want their students to improve at English at the same time as studying maths.

On 10/13/2022 at 1:20 AM, inv said:

many thanks for helpful tips. Some extensional questions:

1) sorry but I will try to ask this a bit strange question: how is the signment/aggrement happens? for instance will I have option to see and read the conditions prior to sign it and how the case is being complete? (I will say "yes,I accept the conditions" and will it be complete or a wet sign (signature) will be needed?

3) how to make someone read the contract? (Does this website allow)?

a specific question: do you consent to me to get in touch with you via private message ? this will be regarding potential health circmstances.

Thanks again

1) Yes. You should always be allowed to read what you sign. I would never sign anything contract based without having seen it. I wouldn't consider anything settled until you have a contract in hand. A verbal offer is not the same as a contract. 

2) This depends on what your contract states. You could be fined for breaking the contract early as the company or school has already invested time and money in hiring you (like paying for your visa, etc.) But generally once your contract is terminated they will cancel your work visa and you will have a month or so to find a new job before having to leave the country. 

3) I would personally hire someone if I didn't know any Chinese friends that I trusted to do this. This is a serious matter. My Chinese is quite good but I still had an old friend double check the fine print to see if I missed anything.  

As everyone else mentioned, I don't think it's a good idea to quit a permanent job for something that is at the end of the day temporary. However, it's your life and if you are offered a nice gig and you really wanna do it its your choice. We can only stand by as observers and make judgements but at the end of the day it will only impact you. 

As a side note, I have a friend who is a foreign math teacher and he told me that most his students have better math skills than him, and he was mostly hired to help them with the reading comprehension of math problems. So you will need to be capable at the very least of understanding math questions and explaining it to your students, so they understand what they are trying to solve.

• Helpful 1

@grawrt , keeping on topic and nicely writing ,I would like to congratulate you!

Thank you very much. I also see some nice critiques which I mostly welcome when those ideas are expressed in the suitable tone of tongue as you did.

Many thanks.

Last points: you did not mention anything whether you consent me to get in touch with you via private message. the issues I wonder in fact are not private subjects but needed to be clarifed prior to any potential interview and as you are experienced teacher there (in China) I think you may help me. 

On 10/14/2022 at 12:03 PM, inv said:

Last points: you did not mention anything whether you consent me to get in touch with you via private message. the issues I wonder in fact are not private subjects but needed to be clarifed prior to any potential interview and as you are experienced teacher there (in China) I think you may help me. 

Of course you can. I'll try and help the best I can. 

• Thanks 1