Chinese-Forums

how to say "Let's read the scriptures"

Rees

• New Members

How would you say "let's read the scriptures"? I'm trying to learn phrases I can use at home regularly so that I don't lose them. This is what Google translate says, but I'm not sure if it is proper grammar: Ràng wǒmen yuèdú jīng wén.

The translation you've been given is more let in the sense of allow than a suggestion that it's something you wish to do right now; if you added the particle ba to the end of the sentence it would be more like the latter: https://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/Suggestions_with_"ba"

There's several other ways to say the same thing, as always context determines which would be best.

我们一起看经文吧。Women yiqi kan jingwen ba. This would work for reading the passage together silently; not as a group recitation. Not sure if that's what you are seeking. 

• Helpful 1

I'm not sure about your particular religious denomination, but if you have no objections to using material produced by the Mormons (LDS), there is quite a bit of religious-themed language materials produced for the use of their young missionaries in just about every language on the planet.

I'm not very religious, so I've never had a reason to use any of this. But I remember years ago, when all the old Imperial Japanese Navy officers, who for years had dominated Japanese language teaching in the US military, began to die off from old age, the Defense Department turned to Brigham Young University (BYU) to help modernize their Japanese language courses. There are a number of dictionaries and vocabulary expansion materials available in Japanese that I used to study many years ago. I just ignored the religious stuff.

I'm sure that the same situation is prevalent in Chinese. Searching Mormon-related websites should yield a lot of material.

Just a bit of tithing from an aging sinner...

TBZ

• Like 1

Reminded by TBZ, above, I searched up this old thread that I found interesting at the time it was written and found interesting again today, despite my not being a religious person. 

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/45603-language-learning-and-mandarin-mormon-missionaries/#comment-343715 

• Like 3