Chinese-Forums

Secret to getting Wireless to work here? Wudaokou area???

speedmonk

I have tried, LUSH, French Break Place, Sculpting, Starbucks 1 2 and 3....

It connects the signal strength is strong but says there is no connectivity. Does this stuff work? They advertise they have WiFi......

I would really really really like to work in a Cafe that is non smoking like starbucks, so I really want to figure out how it works.

In my room I pick up a WiFi signal that works great, whats the difference?

Some people seem to get it to work, and I have met others who are in the same stuck place as me.

I've really had no trouble at all connecting in most places. There are two where it just never works - Cava in Wudaokou and Sandglass near Houhai, but everywhere else connects automatically. Not much help for you though.

Roddy

TLJs and S.I.T. work perfectly for me, even connect automatically once I've connected manually. Lush I haven't tried yet, but the signal's so strong you get it even at TLJs :mrgreen:

What kind of Device are you using to connect? If it's a Notebook, what kind of? Integrated WLAN or PCMCIA-Card? What System are you running? I heard that some Apples do have problems with internet in china, but than that was only with restricted LAN-access.

Best regards,

Puja

It is possible that even if the signal is strong, they could have an issue with their access point and no one will be able to connect.

no one that is. So if you're in the place and other people are on, and only you or not, you could have a problem.

They could also have a password set on the place WEP, that you need to enter before you connect. Even if the connection signal is strong. You'll need to enter this before you can connect.

Some places, you'll have to launch a web browser, and reload the browser first. Reloading the browser will make it automatically connect to their Access Point's default page, and you'll have to click some kind of usage agreement before it will allow you to connect. Sometimes this will only trigger properly if you're using IE... I've seen that at some airports.

That's all I can think of now...

If other people around you can connect, and you can't, something must be weird.

I am using XP, with an 802b/g controller. It is integrated into the comptuer, not a centrino. A girl I just met today, same problem had a PCMCIA Wifi card. Tried all the same places. At her apartment she/roomates have WiFi, works there.....

What kind of Voodoo is this? LOL ;)

I just wonder if its a Firewall problem. Using Windows Firewall. WPA instead of WEP encryption...but these are all unsecured access sites.....

Perhaps some flag/option somewhere that these systems do not like.

I am using WiFi now I pick up in my apartment. Works great.

Is your WiFi at home protected? If yes, I would guess your XP blocks you from using a non-secure Wireless Network. XP scince SP2 has this function, but usually if you try to connect manually (search for networks, choose the right one and click on connect) it would ask you if you really want to connect to that unsecured Wireless Network.

Hope it'll be of any help,

Puja

I got one for 300RMB in one of those big buildings in ZhongGuanCan (Did I get that right? Can't remember.) Anyway it's a few bus stops from WuDaoKou and there are a few gigantic buildings near the Carrefour. Just look around for a little shop selling routers, probably on the fourth floor. They have everything, and the prices are negotiable. I got some no name brand and it works great. After I bought I found another shop selling D-Link routers, but too late...

I had the same problem at Lush sometimes. It is a Windows bug. Try googling the error message. There may be some sort of update.