Chinese-Forums

Dragon Ball in China?

Dragon Ball Ireland

• New Members

Hi,

So I am currently assisting a fellow author who would like to write a book detailing the history of the Japanese anime series Dragon Ball in every country it's been released in.

I've heard Dragon Ball aired in China in the 90s with a Mandarin dub produced in the mainland by Liaoning People's Art Theatre.

Does anyone here recall watching Dragon Ball on Chinese TV? What channels did it air on? What were its timeslots, etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Not TV, but I have the whole Chinese version of the manga series in full colour hi res pdf, absolutely love it. That being said, I know that Dragonball wasn't super popular in China in the 90s, everyone I know seems to have been obsessed with 海尔兄弟 or even 葫芦兄弟. Maybe Dragonball was more popular in the 00s than the 90s?

• New Members

Thanks for your response, yes I'm aware that there were several versions of the manga released from 1989 onwards.

The only source I could find that confirms Dragon Ball airing on TV on China is here:

http://ent.sina.com.cn/tv/g/01.html?from=wap

Interestingly it's from 2004, which is about a decade after the mainland dub was recorded, and its airing during an unusual timeslot (14:32) on Liaoning Satellite TV.

I have heard some anecdotal accounts of the series aired on Ningxia TV, Yunnan Satellite TV and Shenzhen Satellite TV, but haven't seen any TV listings to confirm when Dragon Ball aired.

Are you familiar with any of those channels?

I did watch some Japanese cartoons in the 90s on TV, including Dragon ball, 美少女战士, 圣斗士星矢, 灌篮高手(Slam dunk), 聪明的一休, etc. But I can't recall which channels I watched. Maybe Dragon ball aired on 香港卫视中文台(STAR Chinese Channel) or 上海东方电视台(Shanghai Oriental Television) during that time.

• New Members

My wife saw me reading the manga recently and said she remembers her brother watching religiously everyday after school.

This would have been in Dongbei around 2003ish.

You can find mainlanders on reddit's r/China_irl. You could try asking them.