Chinese-Forums

How should I reply to this apology?

viera23

• New Members

I don't speak Chinese but recently I got a text from a wrong number that said "对不起,昨天弄错了电话号码,打扰到你,我相信你一定会原谅小妹的无心之举,谢谢你," I used a robot and it translated it as "Sorry, I got the wrong phone number yesterday. I'm sorry to bother you. I'm sure you will forgive my little sister for her unintentional behavior. Thank you." I want to be polite and assure them that i'm not bothered but I don't know what to say.

Yeah I second this.  100% scam.  Delete and "report as spam".

Also, also the translation is pretty good but got one thing wrong - it's not "my little sister".  It's the author referring to 'herself' as a young girl.  'Herself' in quotes because who knows if the scammer is even female.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1

If you're in China or other Chinese-speaking territory it may well be some form of spam. If not, I doubt anyone's mass sending Chinese spam texts in the hope of getting someone who speaks the language. 

Year or so back I had a brief [Chinese - forgot that important bit] text chat with some guy who was trying to arrange a game of golf with his buddy in the south of England. We marvelled at the coincidence, but he lost interest when he realised I know nothing about Scottish golf courses.

• Like 2

Definitely do not reply. 

On 12/9/2022 at 9:31 PM, viera23 said:

I want to be polite and assure them that i'm not bothered but I don't know what to say.

Mistake. Definitely do not reply. It's a scam. Not normal Chinese civil behavior.