Chinese-Forums

My tai chi teacher in Kunming

abcdefg

Your teacher is gorgeous, and I mean this sincerely. I certainly don't mean it as a joke.

More than ten years ago, I was the first, and as far as I know, only, westerner allowed into a certain Chinese-language school in Japan. It was not a conversation school.  In order to maintain its accreditation, all students were required to take physical education, which in our case was tai qi chuan. My teacher was a Japanese woman whose skills were good enough to satisfy the Chinese on the staff, who were quite picky about anything involving Chinese culture. But your teacher exudes the good health and calmness associated with tai qi. And she moves with a smoothness I didn't notice in my teacher. I'm jealous.

TBZ

PS: I was never any good at Tai Qi, I couldn't keep my balance. Found out I had a spinal stenosis, and a slight amount of scoliosis that wasn't severe enough to keep me out of the army. Kept falling on my butt.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 7:37 AM, Zeppa said:

I hope she got through the pandemic (and gets through) OK.

I hope so too. Unfortunately, I don't know. For the first year after returning to the US, I kept in touch with her grown son (who sometimes attended the classes as a student.) He wasn't keen on the practice, but would do it anyhow after carrying her cassette player and gear to and from class just to be helpful. She would always bring a couple spare swords or fans or sticks for students who had forgotten theirs. 

It always amazed me how some of the ladies, who looked rather ordinary, could, at the right moment, kick one foot out front, knee straight and easily touch it with an outstretched hand when it got to shoulder level.  Flexibility, strength, balance. 

That was the bit that got me. I can't even stand on one leg for a minute. It is a great illustration of the value of the practice. The only time I went to a tai chi class, in Germany, I did something nasty to my knee.

• Like 1

Two important things with knees in Taichi:

1. When there's weight on it, your knee should always move in line with your foot.  If you watch your knee moving while it is taking weight it should move in a straight line in the same direction (and directly above) your foot.

2. When there's weight on it, your knee should never extend past the toes.

Fail to pay attention to this (or failure of a teacher to point it out) will lead to injury (either immediately, or gradually over time).

Thank you. But I can't remember what I was doing - it was only about the fourth session - and I concluded myself that the teacher was not experienced enough. As for the video, I don't think the problem remained after a few weeks and it was about forty years ago.