Chinese-Forums

Chinese street talk ----------- short dialogues i made

chenpv

A Taiwanese friend once told me 'ru4' also meant f**k, and that it was written 肏. Now I wonder if maybe I misheard and he said ri4?

'jih' is Wade-Giles for 'ri', but maybe you knew that already.

WoW, thank you all your kind comments. Also, I just want to say sorry, that I just couldnt give the English translation about the dialogue, because I dont know much of American Street Talk. So if anyone could help, PLEASE, PLEASE feel free to post here.:) Another thing is that, as you have suggested, I can not cover all the popular sayings around China now, and I do believe there are a lot of Chinese guys coming to this forum. So I would appreciate that you could do me a favor and make some dialogues too.:)

Today's dialogue is inspired by dalaowai's post here.

A : 嘿,明天没事吧?

B :应该没有吧,怎么,想请我吃饭啊?

A :切…… 明天陪我去逛街买东西

B :哦,拉我当苦力啊

A :我靠,兄弟还说这话,多伤感情啊。

B :我靠,拉我当苦工,也不有所表示,就不怕伤感情啦,那你去找那个PLMM啊……

A :我昏,这种不是东西南北的人,真亏你想得出来……

B :怎么样,我的建议不错吧。

A :死一边去,说真的,明天去不去。

B :就这?

A :我靠,算你狠,请你还不成,不过你得陪我去汉口。

B :OK,你带路,我在那边向来分不清东西南北

A :没问题,明早8点,我叫你。

A Taiwanese friend once told me 'ru4' also meant f**k, and that it was written 肏. Now I wonder if maybe I misheard and he said ri4?

Probably one and the same.

This, gleaned from 成都方言詞典 (現代漢語方言大詞典)﹐李榮 主編﹐江蘇教育出版社 1998

[square brackets and red font are mine. I've also rearranged the table info and only included the relevant entries. Numbers after pronunciation represent the tone value (4th tone in Chengdu), i.e. starts low at 2 and drops even lower to 1; cf 普通話 4th tone: 51]

引論 Pg 5: 注意表裏“入”字有兩個音﹐禁忌字符合語音演變常例﹐廣用音避諱改韵[韻]母。

表一 成都等十四處方言古絹質職昔四韵[韻]開口知章日三組字字音對照表

成都, 金堂, 簡陽:

zɿ 21

入 (禁忌﹐也寫作日) zɿ 21

入 (廣用) zu 21

Then on Pg 20 of the dictionary proper:

【日】 zɿ 21 ① 交合: ~毬 ② 罵人話﹕我~你媽∣~他先人 (祖先)∣狗~的∥同音字﹐本字當作“入”

I feel that the conversations provided by chenpv are mostly between guys, but just my feeling anyway...
Exactly. but this is what i can think up to my best and that's why I am asking other people for help on something new and different.:):help

• 2 weeks later...

In Singapore, our chinese is spoken with a mix of english, hokkien and cantonese.

Street chinese in Singapore (quoted from the bicycle example by chenpv):

A: 真是 suay(衰 in hokkien)!

B:你ok吗?

A:我的脚车又被偷了。

B:Man(english),厉害了你,才几天而已就不见几辆脚车。是不是又忘记锁车了?

A:没有啊,前轮后轮锁了两条链,脚车还是不见。

B:我都叫你不要买新的脚车了,hao4 lian4(‘show off‘ in hokkien)啦,不被偷才怪。

A:cam2(惨in cantonese)啊。

B:算了啦,哈哈。

A:sian3(means ‘tired‘ or ‘fed up of‘ in hokkien)啊!我以后不要骑脚车了啦!

I agree...

There should be a book about outragesous Chinese.

I encounter the daily need to verbally abuse Shanghainese drivers, yet text books insist on teaching me how to buy onions on the market or a return ticket to Nanjing.

I wonder why language tuition tends to be so far from reality...

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaocai

I feel it is more like "I f**k" in that example, but it can also be used alone like "靠, 真恶心", expressing the feeling which I think is similar to "cr*p" or "sh*t" in English, and it is slightly milder that some other colluquial words like "操" and "日" (just to represent the pronuciation but not the actual characters) cause those two definitely mean "f**k".

Oh, ok. So basically you could translate that as, "Sh*t, my f*cking back!"

nipponman

From what I've noticed, 我靠 is best translated as "fuck me" in the context of the speaker being frustrated, dismayed, getting killed in Counterstrike, etc. Not in the imperative sense, of course. This would be an example in English where the right inflection or tones are essential to prevent misunderstanding. "Crap" or "shit" works too.

As far as books on "outrageous Chinese", there was actually a book written by a guy from Beijing named James Wang called "Outrageous Chinese" that covers many of the subjects brought up in this thread. I think it's out of print, though, as the cheapest copy available through Amazon is like $50. Unfortunately, before I found this out, I gave my copy to some Chinese friends who absolutely loved it, so I don't have it anymore.

A : 嘿,明天没事吧?

B :应该没有吧,怎么,想请我吃饭啊?

A :切…… 明天陪我去逛街买东西啊

B :哦,拉我当苦力啊

A :我靠,兄弟还说这话,多伤感情啊。

B :我靠,拉我当苦工,也不有所表示,就不怕伤感情啦,那你去找那个PLMM啊……

A :我昏,这种不是东西南北的人,真亏你想得出来……

B :怎么样,我的建议不错吧。

A :死一边去,说真的,明天去不去。

B :就这?

A :我靠,算你狠,请你还不成,不过你得陪我去汉口。

B :OK,你带路,我在那边向来分不清东西南北。

A :没问题,明早8点,我叫你。

With all due respect, I wouldn't want to talk like this. It may be just persoanl preference. The two speakers in this convo come across as really 贫 and quite girlish. (I assume they are meant to be guys)

A :切……/死一边去 -----------> Only girls use these eh? I remember in my first year college there was one guy who said " 去死" once, for 4 years, we uesed it to make fun of him. Whenever people wanted to diss him, they would say "去死”in a really sissy tone.

PLMM /我昏 ----------> These are just typical examples of trash Chinese.

我靠, -------------> This is definitely reginal difference. In Beijing, it is much more common for girls to use it than guys. Guys would just say "wo cao", so "wo kao" sounds a bit girlish.( to my ears anyways. I know guys elsewhere use it a lot)

Is this the same with "shoot"(instead of shit) or "gosh" in English?

vengaya, you said “There should be a book about outragesous Chinese.” There is such a book

”Outrageous Chinese: A Guide to Chinese Street Language” by James J. Wang

ISBN: 0835125327

The Chinese language is rich in slang, vulgarity, and other imaginative words. Now, there is a guide to the hidden underside of everyday speech in China. “Outrageous Chinese” is the book students of Chinese have been waiting for, with humorous yet informative chapters on love, life, food, busiess, and more.

INCLUDED ARE:

Cursing, Quarrelling and Insults

Lover's Talk -- Unexpurgated & Intimate

Bribes & Other Negotiations

Language to Watch Out For

Public Toilet: A User's Guide

Potentially Dangerous Social Situations

About the author: James J. Wang is a native of China and graduate of Beijing University. He now live in San Francisco and works as an editor.

I also have “Mutant Mandarin: A Guide to New Chinese Slang”

Chinese society is changing at a rapid pace, and so is the Chinese language. Mutant Mandarin is the first book to document these changes. James J. Wang has adapted the book Modern Chinese Slang (in Chinese) by Professor Zhou.