Chinese-Forums

Online tutor/class for two beginners

Fabbrollu

• New Members

Hi everyone!
I've just learned that a friend of mine has been studying Chinese for the last 2-3 month, attending a beginner class at the university where he works.
I was delighted by the news, since I know Japanese at an intermediate-advanced level and it's the first time one of my friends shows interest in an Asian language. I myself attempted to learn Chinese some years ago, but for various reasons I stopped after some months.
I would like to pick it up again together with him, but while I'm used to self-studying languages, I know that he prefers a more guided approach with a teacher. He lives in a different country though, so we need some kind of online tutor available to teach a mini-class of two people a couple of times a week.

I've heard of websites like italki and so on, but I've never used them; also, I don't know if there are more established choices for Chinese.

TL;DR: any suggestions for online classes for two beginners, both already fluent in foreign languages but with only some months of experience in Chinese. I'm not looking for dirt cheap, but since this is only a hobby for us, we don't need anything fancy focused on certifications or job requirements.

Thank you!

Hi @Fabbrollu , you should find a lot of good tutors on iTalki and it’s really convenient to use. Some tutors also offer group classes like you described. I also think most of them would probably be happy to arrange something if you ask even if they don’t specifically mention it in their profiles.

i’d like to recommend one of my favorite tutors, with whom I have had lessons for over two years now, since I recently noticed that she has begun offering group lessons. She is a professional teacher, a wonderful person, and really good at what she does. She isn’t dirt cheap but not expensive either. You can find her profile behind the link below and I really recommend you to just book a trial lesson with her to talk about your idea and to see if you hit it off. She answers quickly to messages, but talking face to face is always the best way to get a feel of if you’re a good match or not.

https://www.italki.com/i/reft/60b0f6/FDE00e/chinese?hl=en&utm_source=copy_link&utm_medium=share_teacher

ps. First time I copied a link like that but I think it should give five dollars towards the trial lesson if it’s the first time you’re signing up on the service. I hope I’m not breaking some forum rules by pasting it here. If it doesn’t work, you can find her by searching on italki teachers for “小雪Snow”.

• Like 1