Chinese-Forums

Ep3 Plot - Chinese Style Divorce

roddy

Oooooooooooooooooooh, things are starting to hot up . . .

As has been said, the acting here really is great, and I'm loving Xiaofeng's parents. Her dad, in particular, taking the phone call and hearing that not only is his sister expected to pass away but knowing that his 'daughter' is about to unknowingly lose her mother. I'd have cried, if I wasn't such a 大男子汉 :cry: . I was naively expecting her to find out the truth when this happened but yet again I was wrong . . .

The marriage stuff is start to heat up nicely. A casual suggestion of '离' from Song Jianping, seperate rooms, a little spat about sex. He's not handling things well but at the same time I feel a bit sorry for him - we've yet to see him talk to a friend - the only person outside of family we've seen him talk to is the director guy who took credit for his work and 肖莉 who seems to be more of his wife's friend than anything else (so far . . .)

I think we're getting hints that 小枫 is going to find an online lover. We've seen her sitting in front of the computer while 'talking' to her husband, and she spoke to her class about chatting online. My money's on a bit of cyber-infidelity.

Do you reckon 刘东北 and 娟子 are going to become an actual part of the plot at all, or are they just there to fill space and remind us of how happy the main characters aren't?

Also, a question - does anyone know where this is meant to be set? They seem to have lots of old buildings and cobbled streets, hills, a nice big beach, some tall buildings. I noticed a 平 on a license plate - does that signify anywhere in particular, or is it just 'Anywhere, China'. So far it seems most like Qingdao to me.

Roddy

Lin seems quite mercenary at times. The only times she's been animated have been when talking about Song's potential earnings or when playing with 当当.

Also the bit where she changes her mind about calling some naughty kid's parents in, and she just cuts off the call when her colleague is dialling the number. That just struck me as very rude.

However in the previous episode, Lins brother was going on about how hard a life she's led, and how she raised him etc, so if they fill in the background to that, I might be more sympathetic, but at the moment I'm leaning more towards Song. Also I find Song's singing and general joviality quite amusing, although if you were married to the guy, I could understand how it could become grating. I liked the bit where Lin got in a strop after Song explained he didn't talk to the HK hospital, and his first reaction was just to laugh at his wife with 当当.

Lin does seem quite frumpy at times (especially compared to her neighbour), so perhaps a cyber romance is her best shot.

Things I wasn't too clear on:

The US and HK hospitals that were interested in Song, would they be hospitals in China, or were they talking about him working abroad?

They're talking about 合资医院 - joint-venture hospitals - so the US / HK will refer to the foreign investor.

Yeah, it would be nice if Lin got interested in something other than money and the kid. I feel sorry for her but she's not exactly making great efforts herself - could she not get a job at an international school or something :mrgreen: .Song certainly isn't taking her seriously enough though, and seems to like showing off how much cleverer he is with his 宋氏明言

I think cutting off the phone was more about her realising she was over-reacting as a result of the marriage difficulties, rather than rudeness.

Having to restrain myself from watching Episode 4 . . .

Roddy