Chinese-Forums

I give you colour...SEE SEE!

dalaowai

The Chinese do recognize puns' date=' and use them everywhere to make jokes and catchy commercial lines, etc.

[/quote']

wouldn't puns lose their effect if there are so many homonyms and repeated syllables in the language?

and do the Chinese still count things as homonyms for puns when you have the same pronounciation but different tone (if so this would open up a huge number of homonyms and pun material)?... I think so, because of the lucky/unlucky stuff - ie: giving 4 gifts is unlucky, and the number 4 is unlucky in general, because it is pronounced "si4" and "death" is pronounced "si2" - even though they have different tones. This leads me to believe that Chinese people really don't pay nearly as much attention to tones as a learner might believe.

I thought I had been clear enough on my explanation about why I thought that 火山 was funny, but apparently I wasn't clear enough. I guess I better go improve my ESL writing skills before taking on a complex Asian language.

我马上去学习英文!请问。。。英语,火山则么说?haha, Gougou knows what I'm talking about! yeah!

I respectfully disagree with you. It's becoming very popular amongst young people to literally translate Chinese words into English. I'm currently experiencing this in Shanghai, as most of the younger people have good English. They do it in a comical way to get a laugh out of bilingual friends. The two most common things I hear them joke about is 我给你一点颜色Look look! and I've heard quite a few people say "fire mountain" instead of 火山。

Some time I watch the Taiwan variety shows(综艺节目), they would make joke like, 人山人海 is said to be "people mountain people sea", 来一点音乐 = come some music.

• 2 weeks later...