Chinese-Forums

Chinese birth certificate name change

PAllan

• New Members

Any advice: I am British and my wife is Chinese and we want to change the name on my 18-year daughter's original Chinese birth certificate name to a new English name that includes her father's family name and new first name. Her English name has a direct translation to Chinese characters. Does anyone know or have experience how to do this in China?

• 1 month later...

1. The Chinese government does not recognize dual citizenship for its citizens. Any person born in China whose parents are both Chinese citizens or one of whom is a Chinese citizen shall have Chinese nationality.I am sure your daughter has Chinese nationality.

2. As long as your daughter's nationality is Chinese, I don't believe you can change the original Chinese birth certificate Name to a new English Name. Chinese is the only official working language in China.Even YOU get a driver's license in China, you might need to provide a CHINESE name. English and other language, only for reference, occasionally.

3. Maybe when you change your daughter's nationality to UK, then you can use the English Name, make it showing on the PASSPORT or other ID. officially.

4. Your daughter may use any ENGLISH name appealing to her or you in daily life,  it does't make difference. However, the Chinese Name in her ID is the only formal one, you need to use this name to enjoy education, medical service and other public services provided by the gov.